• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stroked 2.0?

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I'm looking into building a 2.0 as I have a good block. Not really needing much power just wondering how much torque can be made with possible a 2.5 crank, dual plug head and mild cam? Just brain storming for a daily driver. What's the best combo for torque on one of these. Trying to stay with carburetor. Also no emissions to deal with

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you are going to mix and match parts it will be more challenging to come up with numbers that will make any sense. Without changing anything on a 2.5 and being fuel injected you will get the most torque...and you can read the numbers in the sticky at the top of this group. To use the 2.0 head on top of the 2.5 short block with a carb the numbers will drop...probably significantly.

I would suggest getting an older 2.3 short block with the distributor gear (oil pump drive) and put the 2.5 crank and pistons in that...just be aware that this can involve quite a bit of machining and other related work including bearing bushings (shims) because the change in the size of the journals.

Add a higher performance cam and some over bore pistons and you could have a monster power house for a few thousand dollars...

OR...

You could consider turbo charging an older engine like those from a Turbo Coupe...and get considerably more HP and torque using similar parts from the 2.5...just needs a wiring upgrade for the fuel injection...forget the carb turbos because they are not significant HP increases for the money and effort.

The savings and power differences are considerable...I considered both of these options years ago and decided to just build up the head and replace the short block with a 2.3 (no mods).

I did talk to an engine builder about putting in the 2.5 crank and he said it was doable with the carb and a bit of tuning...but still a fairly expensive build with quite limited (but improved) HP.

I liked the carb and all the inherent simplicity and would have loved to build it...but didn't get to that project due to the blowing the engine and having to replace it asap...which meant no time to wait for built engines.

Check the sticky for the specs if you haven't already...and talk to someone who builds them to get a handle on cost/benefits if you need input...there are others on here who have been through similar builds and most will tell you it was worth it...just a matter of cost and results...most will tell you to either turbo or drop a bigger engine...and that is all valid except for the love of the lowly 4 cylinder engine.

That.1.guy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would love to find a turbo coupe worthy of swapping bug for now I have 2 na engines but looking closer at the bad one might both be 2.3's. The running engine is a messy swap from possibly mustang. Truck is an83 with no options and 4 speed. I could use some info on altenator mounting and fuel pumps also mine rub

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The easiest way to tell is by the piston size...but that involves removing the head. There may be block casting ID numbers but I never bothered with that since I knew the engines apart just by the year that I was looking at.

The 2.0 cannot be bored out to take 2.3 or 2.5 pistons so putting the crank from a 2.5 is not an easy thing to do...if at all.

In Canada the 2.0 was only offered in the 1987 and 1988 Ranger with a carburetor...all other Rangers and Mustangs with the 4 banger were 2.3 FI up to 1997 in Rangers...not sure about the Mustang...but there is a stickie at the top of this forum with more details.

Alternators can be mounted on either side depending on the year and belt layout (pulleys) and whether they were the serpentine or V groove pulley. Once you know what year the block is from you can figure out where the alternator mounts...up to 1988 in the Ranger they were mounted on the driver side...

The 2.5 that was transplanted into my 96 Ranger had the alternator on the passenger side while the power steering and AC were on the driver side.

EDIT: In 1989 Ford introduced the DIS system and the 8 plug head that had a coil pack. I think (but not certain) this was when they swapped the alternator over to the passenger side...trying to search on it to verify but too many variables to narrow it down...will try later when I wake up a bit more...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals