• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suggestion for Tech article section: "Might as Well" Maintenance

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking around and trying to consolidate work on my ranger, into distinct projects. Right now, it needs the clutch and timing belt done.

Clutch has failed, Timing belt is overdue for scheduled change.

I'm trying to find info on what all I "Might as Well" do while I've got the truck torn apart that much.

For instance: When I do the timing belt, I might as well do the water pump while I'm in there. When I do the clutch, I might as well do the slave cyl (obvious one there).

Are there any such lists? I couldn't find one anywhere.

I think it also might be helpful to include easy mods, such as "when you change the clutch, you can swap to a better driveshaft with 1 added step" - Just an example; I did that on my firebird (added step was to get a different DS).

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Check the timing belt tensioner, make sure the bearings in the pulley are in good shape. Replace serp belt (If needed). If you are pulling the water pump do a thermostat as well.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What engine? The 2.3 has a pilot bearing that you might as well toss in there...while you have the transmission down...

The water pump depending on what year and what engine...if you have a two piece drive shaft you might consider the u-joints for replacement...and the carrier bearing...or whatever it's called.

Definitely flush the cooling system if more than 2 years since last change...consider replacing the heater core...again depending on year because some years are a bit more challenging than earlier models.

But a good idea for tech article accumulated knowledge...so many things I consider when I need to change a part or anticipate a maintenance preventative measure...sometimes I over think something to the point of being unable to actually do anything...lol

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If you drop the transmission,including the Y pipe, for a clutch, the advised routine is to replace every thing inside the bell housing from the RMS out. The original master cylinder had to be drilled off the firewall, so it got replaced too. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals