• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suggestions on a 2001 ranger xlt 4x4 offroad

redneck_rainey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ltr
Transmission
Automatic
im only 17 and I have a 01 4x4 that i have been savin my money to do a few with.
I have looked at 3-4" suspension lifts, light bars and light kits (most likely gonna be KC), 33" tires, and a Rhino 3000 series centergaurd. i havent looked into exhausts yet but im going to eventually. Does any one have anything for sale r suggestions to help. ps also need the damn center console replaced. im lookin for anyhelp i can get

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Im 17 too, ALMOST 18. its hard to save enough money for parts for anything like this. for tires i would look on craigslist. i got 4 35's with 25% tread for 100 bucks. i bought a lift at fat bobs garage for about 500 including shipping(80 for Shipping). that a 4 inch Rough Country lift and ive had no issuse with it so far. my truck has a straight exhaust with 2 cats and then just staight pipes to the back, it was on when i got it. but that should cost to much, just need to pay labor and tubing cost.

good luck

Nathan

redneck_rainey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ltr
Transmission
Automatic
thanx got any help about brush guard or custom bumpers

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
know how to weld? or got someone willing to teach ya?

that would be the more fun and rewarding way.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
At your age, I would be spending my money on more important things, preferably things with boobs.

First things first I would get a suspension lift and tires, if your looking for more offroad ability and more mall crawling ability. (Which applies to said things with boobs)

More lights are going to make it easier to see at night, but will not have any effect on things with boobs.

A new exhaust is going to make your truck sound better, and thats about it. (Which can sometimes apply to things with boobs)

Do you have tinted windows and speakers capable of serious bass? I have found that getting said things with boobs to do certain things is easier with tinted windows.

How much money are you looking to spend?

Last edited:

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seeing that he has a 01' his lift will cost significantly more. Like $1,500-2000 total without install depending on the size and brand. I hope you have a shop, and someone experienced in lifting vehicles, because that will be another chunk of change if you pay for install. It's a pretty big job with the 98's on up. I'm selling my '03 to get a '97 for just that reason. I don't know what kind of money you have, but unless you're going with a body lift, you'll be paying out the a$$.

If you don't have the money for the suspension lift; keep saving, or start with under-drive pulleys (for power), the Rhino 3000 series centergaurd that you want, some good 31's and maybe exhaust. You won't really gain anything from the exhaust besides a cool sound though.

Have fun with your new project man.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
At your age, I would be spending my money on more important things, preferably things with boobs.

First things first I would get a suspension lift and tires, if your looking for more offroad ability and more mall crawling ability. (Which applies to said things with boobs)

More lights are going to make it easier to see at night, but will not have any effect on things with boobs.

A new exhaust is going to make your truck sound better, and thats about it. (Which can sometimes apply to things with boobs)

Do you have tinted windows and speakers capable of serious bass? I have found that getting said things with boobs to do certain things is easier with tinted windows.

How much money are you looking to spend?
i like your thinking. :icon_thumby:

redneck_rainey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ltr
Transmission
Automatic
blackbII sounds like my kind of buddy lol i think most likely a body lift will come into the project soon but first i gotta fix a tranny seal and prolly fab out the bull bar at my buddys 4x4 shop

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Superlift is basically the only game in town for a suspension lift and it costs about $1800.

redneck_rainey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ltr
Transmission
Automatic
well how much do decent body lifts cost

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
i think for your truck should be around 210 or so. go to JCWhitney and look there and i think they have them here too

rangerdude91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
205.50 on here to be exact

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals