• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supercab ..... or extended cab ..... or ..... ?

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Looking for a new (used) Ranger because I can't handle the lil' reg cab I have anymore. Upon updating my knowledge with TRS's VIN number tech article I see the following;

R14 — Ranger 4x2 (2-door SuperCab)
R15 — Ranger 4x4 (2-door SuperCab)
R18 — Ranger 4x2 (4-door SuperCab)
R19 — Ranger 4x4 (4-door SuperCab)

Sooooooooo, I always thought a Supercab was only in reference to the 98+ trucks with 4 doors. Apparently not if you can have a 2-door Supercab (???)?

Someone care to break down the difference for me please?

Also, for any of the taller drivers out there, like 6'3"+, if you've driven a reg cab, both pre-and post '98, does the extra 3" really help? Does the seat move back far enough that you don't have to steer with your knees?

Thanks.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
LMAO!! I'm 6' tall and my '93 ranger was a reg cab with a 5spd. I also had two 12" subs in it! Yeah..I know all about driving with your knees. :annoyed:

Surprisingly, I could fit 4 ppl in there (as long as the cops didn't see us....shhhhh!)

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I bought my truck from a friend who was 6'5" and had trouble fitting in the standard cab. I'm 5'8" (and a big boy), and I find the cab fits me like a glove.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looking for a new (used) Ranger because I can't handle the lil' reg cab I have anymore. Upon updating my knowledge with TRS's VIN number tech article I see the following;

R14 — Ranger 4x2 (2-door SuperCab)
R15 — Ranger 4x4 (2-door SuperCab)
R18 — Ranger 4x2 (4-door SuperCab)
R19 — Ranger 4x4 (4-door SuperCab)

Sooooooooo, I always thought a Supercab was only in reference to the 98+ trucks with 4 doors. Apparently not if you can have a 2-door Supercab (???)?

Someone care to break down the difference for me please?

Also, for any of the taller drivers out there, like 6'3"+, if you've driven a reg cab, both pre-and post '98, does the extra 3" really help? Does the seat move back far enough that you don't have to steer with your knees?

Thanks.
I think its means the extened cab without the little half doors, which is what I have. The lack of half doors is nice because it cuts down on wind noise and such, but it makes it a bit harder for people to get in the back.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The Extended cab (as it was called on older vehicles) is a big difference...I'm 6'6" and drove the standard cab for two or three years before I lost my mind and cut out the back wall...yes, I removed it...dang cold in the winter, but it was worth it to be able to make my legs straight for a few hours drive...

I bought the Extended cab and sat in it a few times (still not driving it) and it was like landing on the moon...nothing in the way but space bumps...

You also have the option of actually moving your seat back a few notches if you care to go through all that trouble...

Tdbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Supercab is the Ford term for extended cab. The four door model has the half doors in the extended area. The four doors are handy, but they have potential after awhile for rattling. Three of the four Rangers I have owned have been extended cabs, and I would never own a regular cab again. The additional space makes the truck so much more comfortable and utilitarian, not only to mention when you are 6'4" like I am, the supercab gives IMO adequate leg and head room.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Super cab, extended cab, same thing. I just means it has a back seat. My 87 definitely doesn't have more than 2 doors but the side of the seat frame has "Super" stamped on it, denoting that the seats are for a super cab. So what you have with cab options is
Ranger: Regular, Super/extended with out without rear doors
F-series: Regular with available back door to access the behind the seat area
Super cab, with available suicide doors
Crew cab: full four doors with roll down windows and the like

I'm only 5'8, always keep my seat as far forward as it will go, and I HATE regular cab trucks, even my dad's f-250. I feel claustrophobic without that space behind me.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Super cab, extended cab, same thing. I just means it has a back seat.
Not all ext cabs/super cabs have the option of the back seat, surppirsed me too.
Dave

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The Extended cab (as it was called on older vehicles) is a big difference...I'm 6'6" and drove the standard cab for two or three years before I lost my mind and cut out the back wall...yes, I removed it...dang cold in the winter, but it was worth it to be able to make my legs straight for a few hours drive...

I bought the Extended cab and sat in it a few times (still not driving it) and it was like landing on the moon...nothing in the way but space bumps...

You also have the option of actually moving your seat back a few notches if you care to go through all that trouble...
Well there IS a sawzall on sale locally ..... :icon_surprised:

I'm remembering that it was you saying I should keep looking for the bigger truck. (yes, i'm inviting you to give me the ol' "I told ya so" lol) Yes, I only lasted a year with the regular cab. Should'a tried to wait a little longer, but my health, mental and physical, are needed attention now, so I gotta do it.

Thanks for the input, guys! Never thought about the difference between pre/post '98 and that it was considered a Supercab without the extra 2 doors.

Now I gotta research rattling doors and overall length now. It would REALLY suck if it doesn't fit in the garage. :annoyed: Also gotta decide how important a 4x4 would be and ..... ahhhh, decisions decisions. :icon_confused:

THANKS again! :icon_cheers:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i am 5-6 and a half and i have to jump into the truck...hahaha and it only has 31s

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, now i'm lost. I'm looking at an ad for a '98 Supercab ..... with only two doors?

Soooooooo ..... 4-doors only started in '99? Or ..... were only'98.5 ..... ? Or ..... wtf?!?!?! :icon_confused:

Educate me, please. I've been searching and searching and can't seem to find this little tidbit of info.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i seem to recall that when the supercab with access doors first came out, you could still get the supercab with just 2 doors, having the extra doors was a 3,000 dollar option. dont know if all supercabs today are 4 door only or if you have the option of just having a 2 door supercab. i thought having the extra doors was a great idea until i saw how much the option for it was. i'll keep my 2 door supercab. as to 4x4 or not 4x4. its wonderfull to have it when you need it. and i use low range so much when backing trailers that i dont think id ever want to have a 2wd truck again. im short but id never have a reg cab ranger. with the supercab i can recline the seat and catch some rest if needed. cant do that with a std cab.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It would REALLY suck if it doesn't fit in the garage. :annoyed:
Should fit, mine fits in the garage and I think its a 19ft garage.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i seem to recall that when the supercab with access doors first came out, you could still get the supercab with just 2 doors, having the extra doors was a 3,000 dollar option. dont know if all supercabs today are 4 door only or if you have the option of just having a 2 door supercab. i thought having the extra doors was a great idea until i saw how much the option for it was. i'll keep my 2 door supercab. as to 4x4 or not 4x4. its wonderfull to have it when you need it. and i use low range so much when backing trailers that i dont think id ever want to have a 2wd truck again. im short but id never have a reg cab ranger. with the supercab i can recline the seat and catch some rest if needed. cant do that with a std cab.
Okay, thankfully it's easy to tell.

Thanks!

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Should fit, mine fits in the garage and I think its a 19ft garage.
Sure, but then there's 36" gobbled up by stairs leading into the house. :icon_surprised: Measured it tonight.

(shrug)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals