• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i have been reading all the tech forums in the library and im gettin a lil confused. they suggest to use a 1996-1998 5.0 explorer motor to swap into my 1995 ranger 4.0, but all the forums i read in the v-8 conversion forums say not to use a explorer motor. i still want to be able to have stock alarm, a/c, etc. etc. i was planning on using a explorer motor and trans and hook it to my transfer case. swap in a 5.0 radiator, wiring harness, and computer. Is this my best bet? or am i going at this the wrong way?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone who said not to use an Explorer 5.0 was wrong.

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'll agree with baddad use the explorer 5.0L,

However there are many options for your self, as you can see by my posting i'm getting into this myself, I picked up a 96 explorer (no pats) and swaping it into a 94 ranger, I'm using a M5R2 Tranny 1993 w/ a 97 top case, with a BW1356 T-case, f150 front axle, and shortening the rear!

Having said that i'm still deciding on useing the explorer harness or a mustang one

Reason for explorer: Personal goal, and it'll be cool to have all the extra assesories installed in the ranger!! However 120 pin outs is givening me a head ache

Mustang: almost plug and play... 15 connections will need interchanged and boom, however have to swicth fuel rail, ERG, etc!!!

Good Luck!!!! If your confinced you want a V8 butter up to some of these guys, some of them have been doing these for a long time and have alot, alot of great info!!!!

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
do i have to get the exact computer from the explorer the motor came from? or just any 5.0 explorer computer? the reason i ask is cause i can get a engine off ebay at a resonable price with low miles

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kind of with Gizmo on using the Explorer motor but I would sure ditch the Explorer wiring, computer and sensors and use the more common Mustang wiring and ignition system. No reason if using the Mustang harness will not let you keep all your exsiting systems intact. Only down side to the Explorer motor is the lack of aftermarket headers if you are also looking for a power increase. Depending on the year of Explorer, you might have the "P" heads where the header selection just is not there. Other than that, it's a really good motor to start the swap with.
Dave

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
when you say p heads do you mean the gt40p heads

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only other weak point in an Explorer (or any other 91-2001 5.0) is the rods. Ford did something different with em, replacing the old C8OE rods with a new forging. But I've seen three engines in stock form and application break these rods at the bolt spot face. Probably nothing to worry over, unless you subject it to abnormal stresses.

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i want a 1996-1997 explorer/ mountaineer 5.0 (no PATS same as my truck). but i can get a 1998 motor, 65mm throttle body, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads and all accesories. Wiring harness and ECU. Includes gauge cluster, dash harness and anti theft module and the steering column too. for $500. so im asking all yall whether it would be worth the hastle to install the anti theft module and steering column and what not or look for a 1996-1997 5.0?

gizmo_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do you mean 104?
Yes if your only refering to the PCM :icon_thumby: However if your swaping a few other goodies.... (head lights - don't ask - and overhead console...it adds up :sad:

ok so i want a 1996-1997 explorer/ mountaineer 5.0 (no PATS same as my truck). but i can get a 1998 motor, 65mm throttle body, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads and all accesories. Wiring harness and ECU. Includes gauge cluster, dash harness and anti theft module and the steering column too. for $500. so im asking all yall whether it would be worth the hastle to install the anti theft module and steering column and what not or look for a 1996-1997 5.0?
Well that is your decision!!! (good Price though!!!) However I picked up a whole truck for 800 so deals will come around... anyways.... People have done it, I've been extensivly researching this and going through Pin outs and (although i haven't fired a truck up or anything) have a pretty good feel for the explorer wiring harness well i talk tough hahahaha.... but... everyone on here and other fourms (check out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124626 He went abit crazy!!!! but it'll give you a rough idea as well as http://www.v8-ranger.com/blue/blue.php) try and stay away from the anti theft (unless both vechicles are already equiped) but anything can be done with time and patience!!!!

Last edited:

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
is there a way for me to bypass the anti theft system? they say my ranger does not have a antitheft system but it has electronic locks, a key fob and a stock alarm? is this not a anti theft system?

noel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
is there a way for me to bypass the anti theft system? they say my ranger does not have a antitheft system but it has electronic locks, a key fob and a stock alarm? is this not a anti theft system?
what they are talking about is (pats) it is a one of a kind headache that really sucks the eng key has a signal in it that goes to module in the steering column then sends a signal to the computer that it all matches, with out this all matching the computer will lock the whole thing & you will have to tow your car to ford to get it fixed

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so if i just get a 1996-1997 i dont have to deal with pats right?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The best thing to do is use the best Explorer motor you can find but for your early year truck, convert back to the much easier Mustang computer, ignition and wiring just to keep it all simple.
Dave

cushion101990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
cuz i can get this one 1998 motor, 65mm throttle body, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads and all accesories. Wiring harness and ECU. Includes gauge cluster, dash harness and anti theft module and the steering column and then use the mustang wiring, computer and ignition right? will i need any of the wiring from the explorer?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals