• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Switching to 4lo disables 4wd switch...

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
First things first: 1995 4.0 4wd with electric transfer case..

Thursday Kansas City got about a foot of snow and I was loving the fact I have 4wd in my ranger. These trucks are like a damn mountain goat with good tires and 4wd. Thursday afternoon I go to move my truck after I cleaned the driveway and tried to put it in 4lo and it just goes into 2wd and the 4wd hi and lo lights flash on the dash. After spending 5 or so minutes minutes trying to get the truck back into the driveway I got frustrated and let the truck sit in the drive for a couple hours after doing some searching on this forum for the cause.

After a couple hours I go out and pull the power distributions fuses labeled 20 (4wd system uses a 20 amp fuse) After doing that I get in the truck, I turn it to 4hi and it clicks like usual and goes into 4hi...great. No fuses were burnt....

Last night my wife and I are cruising around the the hilliest neighborhoods looking for tough snowy roads because its just plain fun. We come down a big hill and see a guy hopelessly stuck in his old Civic DX... Unfortunately my tow strap was at home and we decided to just go buy a cheap one at the parts store out of my own pocket just to make this guys night a little better.

I back down the hill to his car, then switch to 4lo, and my transfer case put the truck in 2wd and the 4wd lights flash again on the dash and I am just stuck. I shut the truck off, pull the fuses, then put them back in and no change. Do the same thing again and it switches to 4lo. My truck pulls the little civic up the snow covered road no problem.

The bad part is the truck stayed in 4lo all the way home as I try to switch the lever to 2wd, stop, pull the fuses put them back and no change. So I had to drive 10 miles home in 4lo which was not fun.

When I woke up this morning I go to start the truck with the switch in 2hi, it clicks and goes right into 2wd. What the do I do next? It is supposed to snow like hell again tomorrow night....:icon_confused:

Last edited:

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Bump. What should I check next before buying a new transfercase motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals