• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just ordered 9007 (headlamp) and 9006 (fog/driving) silverstar ultra bulbs for my truck. My HID kit i had ordered turned out SOOOOOOO crappy in my stock lenses i took them out and sent them back, i am officially off the HID bandwagon, plus it didn't help of DDM tuning's poor hi/lo design. Anyways i wanted to know what everyone thought of the silverstar ultras??? I've read mixed reviews that they burn out quick and they aren't better then stock, and also that they are way better then stock, but i guess i'll be the judge. One more thing i've heard that the PIAA lights were pretty good too for a OEM replacement but i didn't want to spend double or triple to get them, as i spend 50 bucks shipped for the 9006 and 9007 bulbs for my truck in the silverstar ultra's.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
let me know how they work. i also want them

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
let me know how they work. i also want them
sure thing boss, i'm going to try to take pictures of silverstars on the driverside headlamp and fog and stock on the passenger side at night to see the difference in the light.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I've had the Ultras in my 91 ranger (9004's) for 3 years now with no burnt out bulbs. Got them in the 05 sport trac as well (9007's) for the last 2 years with no problems. Both definitely better than stock bulbs.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My neighbor has them, and I've driven with them at night. The low beams are really bright, and they're pretty damn blue, which makes it VERY hard to see at night unless it is pitch black out. They're useless at dusk or during bad weather.

His brights aren't much better, however they have a yellower tint to them so they are better than the low beams.

JM2C

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used to have them and didnt really like them. Didnt really see any improvement over just regular bubls. swapped them out for Phillips X Treme Power and will never go back to anything but X Treme Power bulbs now

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a set in my truck.

They are better then stock bulbs, however I guess the guy I bought the truck from had installed some Sylvania Night-somethings? and I could hardly tell the difference between the two bulbs apart from mine being blue'er and 20 dollars more. As others have said they are awesome at night in the dark but at dusk when everything is a deeper blue they are impossible to see. For Alaska they are perfect though because it gets dark fast and stays fairly dark for about 9 months a year not to mention they reflect well off of snow.

I ahven't had mine burn out either but, there is a reason people say that. The Silverstar ultra Bulbs while only the normal 55/65w combo burn at a hotter temperature resulting in a slightly blue'er light and a brighter one as well, however, the down side to that is that the bulb burns the filiment much quicker and a noticeble decrease in light output will occur much faster then many budget bulbs.

I cannont recommend these bulbs anymore however... The Phillips extreme white or Plain old silverstars are a much better deal then the Ultras.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I have the SilverStar Ultras installed in the Ranger, Blazer, and KLX motorcycle. They work great and really help improve my night driving. I haven't had one burn out yet. I do not recommend installing them in a daytime running lamp. My Blazer's daytime lamps are the high beams at 50% power, and when I switch from the low beams to the high beams, the high beams are a yellowish color. So the bulbs do wear out faster, if constantly lit.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmm ok cool. seems like they are a good bulb, from consensus. My fog lights or daytime lights i only use at night, and rarely, and i wanted them to match my headlights so thats the only reason i did them. Curious how hard the fog lights are to swap the bulbs out? I have one housing that is broken so it kind of rattles around so i'll fix that at the same time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals