• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Talk Me Off The Drilled And Slotted Ledge

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My brakes aren't old but they suck already. They feel warped, front driver tire always locks under heavy braking and anytime its wet, so its all gotta go. I'm going with Hawk HPS pads, universal Russell braided hoses, and planned on basic Motorcraft rotors. Its replacing ebc greenstuff pads and slotted rotors. That was the plan till I looked at the slotted and drilled rotors at Napa. Do I need them? No. But they look so damn cool! I know people say they warp easier and eat pads quicker which is why I'm doing this in the first place, but I'm that guy that buys his whiskey because it comes in a cool bottle. Talk me off the ledge here because I'm tempted to swan dive my ass off it.
Sent from the think n' stink.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its all up to your wallet. They make for good bragging right.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Rotors do not warp. Period. The vibration is caused by pad material that gets deposited on the rotor and makes the surface uneven. Drilled/slotted rotors are not more susceptible to warping/vibration, but they are more prone to cracking. There would be little advatage to using then. I wouldn't bother.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
They look kind of cool, but that's an unneccessary expense. Do you have rims that would even allow you to show them off? Save the money for booze or for another part.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They look kind of cool, but that's an unneccessary expense. Do you have rims that would even allow you to show them off? Save the money for booze or for another part.
Nope. That's the sad part. I want them even though you can't see them through the Alcoa rims.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, it's like wearing bedazzled underoos, just because you might be the only one who knows what they look like doesn't make them any less cool.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I crawled under the truck to take a look at the brakes and discovered my driver side pad is lose in the caliper. Im going to just start with the new pads and hope that takes care of it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My brakes aren't old but they suck already. They feel warped, front driver tire always locks under heavy braking and anytime its wet, so its all gotta go. I'm going with Hawk HPS pads, universal Russell braided hoses, and planned on basic Motorcraft rotors. Its replacing ebc greenstuff pads and slotted rotors. That was the plan till I looked at the slotted and drilled rotors at Napa. Do I need them? No. But they look so damn cool! I know people say they warp easier and eat pads quicker which is why I'm doing this in the first place, but I'm that guy that buys his whiskey because it comes in a cool bottle. Talk me off the ledge here because I'm tempted to swan dive my ass off it.
Many drilled and slotted rotors "Warp easier" because underneath the drilling and slotting the company selling them to you often uses CHEAP CHINESE brake rotors that I'd only use as an anchor to keep my canoe from drifting while I was fishing.

If you want "better" brakes the way to get them on a 1990-94 is to swap on 1995-97 Steering knuckles so you get the far superior two piston calipers.

THE issue with the 1983-94 brakes is that the pad location slot in the knuckle
for the inner pad wears unevenly and this causes the brakes to drag, heat up oscillate and generally do nasty things to the (typically) Glass phenolic pistons

Don't get me wrong I LIKE glass-phenolic brake pistons, why I don't like are steering knuckles that cause the entire caliper to get crooked and damage the pistons.

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with Allan

I agree with Allan, because my 1994 Splash suffered brake failure when the left front caliper froze with a nearly full application. Passenger side also sorta locked, at least I could limp home though the brakes wouldn't completely release....not fun when you're driving on the interstate! I upgraded to the post 1995 design, which is much better and easier to repair....truck is still in the garage awaiting a new master cylinder (old one failed the instant I arrived home) and possibly a booster.....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Rotors do not warp. Period. The vibration is caused by pad material that gets deposited on the rotor and makes the surface uneven.
So many things wrong with that. Have you ever put a rotor on a lathe and looked at it run? Have you ever wondered why it is easier to make a rotor vibrate the closer it gets to the minimum machine or discard spec? It isn't because pad material deposits easier.

They warp. Yes, some pad material works into the rotor surface, the same way ink from a pen works into the paper, that and heat is what discolors the rotor surface, but rotors do warp.

I really wish I had video of the rotors on the front of my truck running on the lathe right before I cut them. They had almost .010" runout to them. That does not happen just from "deposits".

As for reasons to not get drilled and slotted rotors, they are just like armidillion's fancy underoos, gay as all get out. When my wife and I were house shopping I passed on the one house as soon as I got out of the car. Reason? There was a burnt copper Escape with drilled and slotted rotors on it parked across the street. And no, I am not kidding. There were other things about the place that we didn't like (ie the "garage" which was really an old 2-hourse stable and still had the dividers in it).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals