• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tapping noise

michaelburns24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok My 89 ranger 2.9L engine was making a tapping noise, everyone said it sounded like a bad lifter. I pulled the heads and replaced all lifters. Took heads down to machine shop to have cleaned and surfaced, had broken springs so ended up having to rebuilt heads. I have got it all reassembled and it is still making the exact same noise. It is kinda a higher pitch noise changing with engine speed. (i was told if it was something in the lower end it would be a deeper noise) Does anyone know what the probmem could be????
I did put the new lifters in a pan of oil, and used push rods to (pump up) the oil in the lifters before installing, Also I did replace all push rods and readjust all of the lifters
Any help would be greatly appreciated this truck is driving me nuts

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A 2.9 just isn't a 2.9 without a tap.

Seems like you've replaced all the suspectable parts.

I have seen a 4.0 that had the same issue due to improperly torqued rocker shaft mounts.

Also on the same engine acually, there was a noise that sounded like a valvetrain noise but turned out to be a wrist pin knock. You can find that by pulling the plug wires one by one,

Other that that I'm all out of ideas, good luck

shaysman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Manual
when ford made the 2.9 cologne engines like the ones in rangers the lifters run "dry". meaning that the whole for the oil is very very small so therefore when you put oil in it its to thick to pump through the whole. adjust the lifter and use 10w 30 with some lucas oil stabilizer and i should quit or become so quite the only time you hear it is when the hood is up

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Use an old heater hose and try listen if its coming anywhere from the top.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine does it sometimes when its real cold in the morning, or if i drive on the highway for a little while. It still runs strong so i dont worry about it.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would running a thinner oil help with the tapping at all? Its wierd that it just starts tapping with the engine already warmed up

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
would running a thinner oil help with the tapping at all? Its wierd that it just starts tapping with the engine already warmed up
Thinner may make matters worse. Oil "thins" out as it gets hot.

Before I rebuilt my engine it would clatter like hell coming off the high way warmed up. The bearings were down to copper. But I had a cracked head and the coolant is what caused the bearings to go. The oil thinning allowed it to pass through tolerances more easily (like the worn bearings), leaving less to reach the top end. But you would notice an issue similar to this with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals