• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp Gauge reading kind of low

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know that this has been brought up numerous times but my temp gauge seems awfully low even once truck is fully warmed up. Before anyone asks, I do have heat and it gets VERY HOT. Here is a pic after I've been driving for a good half hour or so.

Attachments

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Knowing how much that gage sweeps (I can compare mine to the ScangageII reading from the other sensor), I would guess that your indicated temp right there is about 160-170. I'd suggest installing another thermostat first. It's not that big of deal to replace using 1/4" ratchet and extensions. I believe your 2 bolt heads will be facing forward, if it's the same housing as the 2.5 design.

Another possibility is the fan clutch staying engaged. You'd notice that it was roaring.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
lot of ppl say that the CTS for the gauge could be faulty as well, I had to replace the one for the ECU a few months back.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know that this has been brought up numerous times but my temp gauge seems awfully low even once truck is fully warmed up. Before anyone asks, I do have heat and it gets VERY HOT. Here is a pic after I've been driving for a good half hour or so.
If heater air is "VERY HOT" then the temp sender for the gauge may be off, if you have had this truck awhile and it used to run warmer on the gauge then I would spend the $8 and replace the sender, but check the t-stat first.

You can check if the t-stat is going out in a couple of ways.
An engine should get fully warmed up in under 10 minutes, 5 minutes is usual, even in cold weather, if it is taking longer then t-stat may not be closing all the way when cold.

With engine cold, start engine and pop the hood, feel the upper rad hose near the engine, where the t-stat is, is should be cold, matching outside temp.
Open the rad cap as well, no there should be no pressure until engine heats up.
As engine idles the upper hose should stay cold, and there should be no circulation in the radiator, coolant should be cold.
If upper hose starts to warm up and you see coolant circulating in the rad then t-stat is open slightly, which it shouldn't be.
When engine coolant gets to about 190deg the t-stat should start to open and upper hose should heat up fast, coolant in upper rad should go from cold to hot very fast as well.

If upper hose and coolant in rad warm up slowly with the engine then t-stat needs to be replaced.
Fords use 192 or 195deg t-stats, don't use 160 or 180deg t-stats.

The point of the t-stat is to warm up the engine coolant to 200deg ASAP, 200-220deg is the prime coolant temp for the best gas mileage and best lubrication, all oil "weight" is measured at 212deg, that is the temp it works the best at.
So the t-stat stops circulation to the rad, the waterpump only circulates coolant through the engine(and heater core) until it gets hot enough and the t-stat opens, then the rad coolant is allowed to circulate to prevent overheating, but the t-stat may only open partially to maintain the 200deg if rad is cooling too much, like on a very cold day, so no matter what the outside temp is doing engine temp should be normal.

There are two coolant temp sensors on fuel injected engines, a two wire sensor and a one wire "sender".
The two wire sensor is used to "choke" the engine, since there is no carb or jets a choke plate is not possible, so this sensor(the ECT) tells the computer the engine is cold so to run rich with advanced timing, if this sensor fails then engine will barely run when cold or gas mileage will go to heck because you are running rich all the time.

The one wire sender is the one that is for the dash board temp gauge and the one you would change.

Last edited:

dansf100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same problem, all suggestions tried

My 97 with the 2.3 and 5 spd has the exact same problem. (Yes I get good heat from the heater) I have already done the thermostat and replaced the temp sending unit. I have also checked and re-burped the coolant system for air a couple different times....no air in system. I have even had the water pump off and checked the impellers to make sure they are not worn down or broken. I have flushed all of the lines, passages, hoses, etc in the heating/cooling system. The system builds and holds pressure as it should. My only grey area in the whole thing is the fan-clutch. It seems like it's working correctly. It spins at idle, but it doesn't howl like a jet engine and I can stop it spinning by hand so I'm fairly certain it isn't locked on and forcing extra air through the radiator.
Anybody out there with any other ideas? I realize it's not gonna destroy my engine if it doesn't get fixed, but it's one of those irritating things that makes me a little nuts because I don't understand why it's not working right.
ty for any help

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
thats about the same location as mine even after driving for several hrs.. It only gets near 1/2 mark if im hauling a load up a steep grade. Yrs. ago I took it to a shop & they checked EVERYTHING & all checked out ok. I Contacted Ford & they said that especially on the 2.3/2.5 engines they all seem to run in about the same area on temp gauge near the low cold side,but that seems to be a normal running situation

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0 does that too.. Was told it's a Ranger thing.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals