• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Testing Question

Fordsforever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have 92Ranger 2.3L. How does one go about testing the coil packs. I read one thread where a voltage meter was used but no info. Thanks

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bump. I have a 94 2.3, same question.

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, what I meant was I've tested them according to the Haynes manual. I got 0.1 to 0.2 ohms on the connector side of both coils. I say .1 to .2 because it flipped back and forth constantly. I got 12.3K and 12.4K testing the coils 1/4 and 2/3. The book says they should be between 13K and 15K ohms. Since they are out of range by 0.7/0.6, are they bad, going bad? I tested them mounted to their bracket and off the truck with the same results.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if it says the range is between 13k and 15k... i would have to try new ones, keep them clean and if it doesnt fix it... return them. :D

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I forgot the max resistance for the connector side is 5 ohms and mine was 0.1 to 0.2. That is a very low resistance. Does that matter? I don't see any cracks or other external damage to the coils. There was a little bit of powder residue on each thread part of the coil bracket like on a corroded battery terminal.

Oh yea, my tach reads half of what it should.

Again,thanks for any and all help. I so want to get this truck running good again.

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I just got back from Advance. I did the same resistance check on a new one they had. I got a solid 0.2 Ohm on the connector side with no fluctuation, 12.7K Ohms on the plug wire terminals. The only real difference in original's and the new one is the connecter side reading flips back and forth constantly on mine. Is that one difference enough to replace the OE's?

Mirage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The first question I would ask is how good is the ohmmeter you're using. The quality of the meter has a lot to do with how accurate a reading you'll get. But in your case I don't believe that there is too much difference between 0.01 and 0.02 ohms. The fluctuation could be caused by the OE coils being properly grounded and the ones at Autozone being set of the parts counter (no ground). I'd be more concerned with the spark plug wire terminals at this point. They should all read about the same. Again, 12.7k ohms isn't too terrible far from from 13k ohms, but if the spec calls for 13-15k, then I would say that your coils are starting to head south. If you have the money I'd replace them. If not, I start saving and be ready to replace them as soon as possible.

jdm90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tested them both on the parts counter. They both had about the same resistance,mid 12's, on the plug wire terminals sitting on the counter. The meter is an Amprobe with a new battery.

Could somebody test there's to see what they are showing on resistance?

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals