• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Dinosaur LIVES!

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got a little bit of work to do today (building an airstrip on some property we own for our RC planes), so we fired up the ol Terex to move some earth. I'll have to get the model number from my dad, I know it was built in the 60's and belonged to my Grandfather for a long time.

Blade was 24 feet wide, my Grandpa cut it down to 16 feet wide,stands about 6 feet tall. It has 2 Detroit 6-71 engines, both started right up this morning after charging the batteries yesterday, it hadn't ran for about 8 years, so that was a nice surprise. Video of sweet engine sounds to come tonight, had to come home and empty my memory card. I can hear the thing from my house, about a mile away.

Teaser pics.

85DANGERanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats a beast!! cant wait to hear the footage. those old 2 stroke detroits sound amazing!!

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
How big are the planes? The strip looks pretty long from what I can kind of see.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How big are the planes? The strip looks pretty long from what I can kind of see.
Smallest is .40 size, one guy has a .60 size, I might get a bigger plane (80.5" wingspan). We have 500 feet staked out, there's enough room for 900 feet if we need it. I think we're going 50 feet wide. This strip runs East-West, we have another one plowed out going North-South in case the wind shifts or you have to make an emergency landing.

We figured we got the land, might as well use it :icon_thumby:

Here's standing in the middle, just roughed out. The stake in first picture is the end of what we had staked out, there were some trees down there that we knocked out, and some crap on the side that we cleared. We have a LOT cleared out, but we're gong to keep 500x50 feet mowed, let the rest grow long to stop the planes if you come in hot on a deadstick or something.

Last edited:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to screen, roll, seed it, and call it good; or are there other plans?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to screen, roll, seed it, and call it good; or are there other plans?
I think the plan is to drag it next weekend (or my dad might this week, his sawmill is right next to the hill so he can get the loader up there after work), I think the other guy that is helping us can get a big roller. There's a few rocks to dig up but nothing big, probably use a backhoe for that. We're going to try that first, if it isn't good enough we might get some dirt hauled in. Then I think just plant something that might take before winter, and hope for the best.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, cool; pictures or video when you guys test it out. :icon_thumby:

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, cool; pictures or video when you guys test it out. :icon_thumby:
That won't be until spring :icon_twisted:

Once I buy a new plane, I want to put floats on my NexSTAR. There is a lake right across the highway, I fly down there right now on the blacktop, would like to be able to take off and land on the lake itself though. I may get a Cub to put the floats on though, that's always a winning combo.

I want to get a Giant Stik for my next plane. I've flown a P51 (not mine) and did good with that, I'm ready to move up from a trainer, just don't want to spend a grand on a plane right now (ARF plane is around 280 or 300, of course I'm going to get the biggest engine I can, and I'll probably want a 2.4 GHz computer radio by then :icon_rofl:). Plane seems cheap until you start buying the stuff to finish it, at lease once you have a good radio you can use it for a bunch of planes.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have no idea what I would do to have one of those in the stone quarry. Mmm.

We could definitely use a dozer. Right now we use our little New Holland 160 LX as a mini dozer/battering ram.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals