• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the ranger has been released.

wintermute

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I think it looks a lot like VW's truck…and that's not a good thing. Also, the size is a major drawback. The whole reason I bought a Ranger is because I wanted a small truck. If I wanted (or needed) something the size of an F-150, I would have bought that instead.

I think Ford's really missing big with this new Ranger. I suppose the looks will eventually grow on me, but abandoning the small truck market here really is a mistake. It's not always about fuel economy. Physical size matters to some buyers as well.

Toyota Hilux Dimensions for comparison: wikipedia
L 195.9" | W 69.3" | H 66.1"–70.7" (regular cab)
L 206.9" | W 72.2" | H 66.7"–71.3" (extended cab)
L 202.0" | W 72.2" | H 66.7"–71.3" (crew cab)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I say it looks decent, and it will grow on me. It looks like it wasn't even designed in the U.S., looks like a truck Mazda designed. If it has an actual frame and 4 full size doors it could be pretty nice. Think if it came with the twin turbo SHO motor.
Given the general dimensions are similar to the F-150 you can test drive one sometime next year when the F-150 gets the SHO engine.

Thrust of a V-8 with the thirst of a V-6.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Per the ford ranger facebook page where people were commenting on the new pics:

"New Ranger has grown a lot in size and capability. Per the comments about the North America market, it is worth noting that compared to the base F-150 in North America, new Ranger is roughly 2 inches shorter, 3 inches lower in height and 6 inches narrower. Apart from width, it is awfully close to the F-150. New Ranger looks great. But we hope can handle demand in NA with F-150. Thanks. -- Mark Schirmer, Ford Communications"

^Kind of backwards as to why the Ranger was introduced right?

I miss mini trucks....
^^This. With those dimensions, it's easy to see why Ford isn't bringing this to NA. If it's so close in size to an F150, why not buy an F150? The reason they made it so much bigger is because other countries don't have the F150. Other countries are basically using the the Ranger for F150-size jobs. We already have the F150, so no need for the Ranger. Actually there IS a need for the Ranger (a much smaller Ranger), Ford is just giving up on the segment.

I plan on keeping my truck for a really long time, but if I had to get another, I guess I'm stuck with an F150. I would get the smallest version they have (reg cab, short bed). The new engines are very appealing though. Even the base 3.7 has more power than I'll ever need.

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
It's OK, I don't like or hate it. I hated my 2003 style explorer until a few years of getting used to it, now i love the style. My ranger style I always liked (also 2003).

However, it seems Subaru actually stole Ford's styling on many of their recent cars.

xnickitynickx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Oldsmobile
Engine Size
3.1L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna jump in and say I actually like it. It's new and its refreshing. We've been playing with the same general design for this long. :dunno:
If I go up, i'd probably go with the EcoBoost F-150, but if they brought that Ranger over here, I'd definitely be kicking its tires first. :D

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmmm...i actually kind of like it. PLus the fact it has an option for a 3.2L turbo diesel and crew cab....i'd drive it. And i like the 6 speed also. If that ever came out in the US and i was looking into a new pickup i would definately look into this.

Pagemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 Liter V-6
Transmission
Automatic
So what happens when the first person joins on here with one of those THINGS? Are we all gonna be nice to them or is this "truck" gonna be denied access like the new explorer? not sayin that should happen...just askin a question.

flyinbikes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'll pass. i'll keep my '83 going for as long as i can if this will be my only option from Ford. i believe in real trucks.
Originally Posted by BlackBII
Absolute Atrocity. I just threw up.
I agree this is an insult to the name of the Ranger.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This may be hard to belive, but I both love AND hate it.

But here's the $50,000 question: Are the owners of these "world Rangers" welcome here with open arms or will we tell them to take a hike?

I will welcome them with open arms and yearn to learn more about them & their trucks.

jhammel85

This may be hard to belive, but I both love AND hate it.

But here's the $50,000 question: Are the owners of these "world Rangers" welcome here with open arms or will we tell them to take a hike?

I will welcome them with open arms and yearn to learn more about them & their trucks.
Of course! I would too....Its still an RBV :icon_cheers:. No point in being a bunch of asses and singling someone out.

If this forum was around in 1989-1990 when Bronco II was phased out, would we have denounced the Ford Explorer as an RBV?

I must say, I do like the 2 door versions that someone posted. That, if only a smaller, would be probably do well in the US.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
:bad:

Absolute Atrocity. I just threw up.

Unibody?

I agree with the unibody. Frames are more stable and tougher, and easier to work on IMHO.

However, unibodys are very good and reliable until they're wrecked. In which case, shit will never line up how you want it, and suspension will be off post crash. Also, I don't want my whole Ranger to be a crumple zone.

FUGLY!!!! Looks like a Ford Edge/pickup....Ahhhhhhhhh FUGLY!!!
I do agree that it bears a lot of resemblance to the Edge. Kind of ugly from the first pic that was posted. (I have since changed my mind after reading an article and seen other pics though.)

You can bet that when the Ranger returns and is sold in the US, it'll come back as some POS unibody crossover abortion. It probably won't be a real truck again.......maybe a smaller Ridgeline wannabe.
Yup, Ridgeline was what I was thinking during my first post.

BUT...do we all condemn Jeep Cherokees and their unibody? They are still very popular, and pretty capable offroad. Cherokees ding form crawl rash, but do they really get that FUBARed?

OK, it looks pseudo F-150-ish.

RSH, I think it looks good from this angle.

...abandoning the small truck market here really is a mistake. It's not always about fuel economy. Physical size matters to some buyers as well.
The Toyota Hilux has always done well, and used to be nearly indestrucible (think Top Gear episode). Hilux & Ranger are very close, and Hiluxs are used worldwide with great success.

Ford is giving the world a slightly bigger truck on purpose, without the world realizing it.

So here we are, complaining about the very thing we have been asking for the last three years? What were we to expect? That they were going to continue on with the same thing with a face lift and new fenders? A new motor? After 13 years of nothing but that, a major overhaul was the only option. I think what we would have all like to have seen is a more raptor-ized version? In my opinion, this looks pretty damned sharp. Yes the ranger's we all love are tough trucks, but I don't see where the hate is coming from, i see this as a natural progression, no different than whats happening to the f150, f350, so on and so forth, more streamlining, bigger looks ect. I'm not starting an argument, but what did we really expect?. Kinda hard to not start an argument when asking so many questions hey? But really, not trying to start sh!t.
Croot
Ditto. Natural progression. The F- fullsizes, to the Econoline series, and the taurus & compacts. If we want to continue with our Ranger marque, we need to embrace this new face of Ford. You can tell a Dodge in your rear view mirror. Same goes for Ford, and keeping things homogeneous.

hmmmm...i actually kind of like it. PLus the fact it has an option for a 3.2L turbo diesel and crew cab....i'd drive it. And i like the 6 speed also. If that ever came out in the US and i was looking into a new pickup i would definately look into this.

DUDE! Bring that effin' diesel here! And the 6 SPEED! It's about time! Great power & drive options. But, if no diesel, I would like to keep a large V6 option.

There's no "need" for a V8 in our trucks, guys. They still need to sell their F-150's.

So what happens when the first person joins on here with one of those THINGS? Are we all gonna be nice to them or is this "truck" gonna be denied access like the new explorer? not sayin that should happen...just askin a question.

Looks like a Ranger to me. About as Ranger as you can keep it with the new lineup.

Again, my first post sounds hypocritical. I have since read up & seen other pictures of it now. I have changed my opinion.

Pete

Mike Tonon

If you don't like it, just buy an older ranger. Thats probably what I'll end up doing eventually.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals