• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is not a problem I've seen in an a4ld.

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up an unmolested 94' Explorer 4x4, with 160,xxx on the clock. This one is worth fixing. However, the a4ld is presenting a problem I've never run accross. It is in a forward gear no matter what the selector on the dash says. From a stop, in OD, It will run through 2,D,OD like nothing is wrong, but it will also go forward while the selector is in Reverse. While in park or neutral the engine will not rev freely, and the idle is 200rpm too low; almost like there is a load is on the engine. It is trying to go forward in Park and neutral, but will not kill the engine when selecting any gear. The fluid looks and smells normal.
I pulled the pan thinking I was going to see metal soup but there was nothing out of the ordinary(a small amount of clutch flake, magnet looked normal some grey sludge attached). I then pulled the valve body and following the ATSG instructions, completly disassembled it. My thinking was a valve body component must have broken or the gasket was bad. Everything looked okay, a bit dirty, but passable. All the VB bolts were attached and snug. These symptoms are not in the diagnostic section of the ATSG manual. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated before I dig any further.

Last edited:

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I recall hearing about a problem like this in a different transmission line (GM maybe). You may want to check the manual valve body selector (terminology might be wrong). Sounds like you have a fluid leak that is engaging your forward clutches regardless of what position the gear selector is in. The drop in RPMs is expected but since you have no resistance from the output shaft, it isn't killing the engine. The torque converter is able to absorb some of the power via slippage. If you've dropped the valve body, check for cracks in the various fluid channels. Also look for a cracked or obstructed piston, or missing check balls. Basically anything that could be allowing fluid to flow freely could be your culprit. If you find your problem, please share. Would love to know what you find.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i had a 1997 jeep wrangler auto do the same thing, tranny was trash

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
v8318cid, thanks for the reply. Your comment concerning the VB confirms what I was thinking. Even though all the individual VB components look okay and are not broken, It dosen't mean that the VB is not cracked. I will ckeck all the channels once the VB is squeaky clean. I forgot to mention that the transmission has not been opened except for filter changes. I will keep everyone up to date as I progress.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The A4LD in my '85 did that... only the fluid was full of filings, black and smelled just like burn popcorn. :annoyed:

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Update. The VB was fine. Looks like some of the forward clutches were worn down and overheated. They welded themselves to the steels! Game Over. I spoke to the previous owner and learned that he added fresh fluid after the trans acted up. This low fluid condition is probably what burnt the clutch pack. Since the forward clutches are applied in every selectable position except P,N,R, and are welded together, the trans can't help but creep in P and move forward in R. Looks like a rebuild is in order.

I'll keep ya'll in the know, as I plan on attacking this rebuild over the next few weeks. Anybody got an a4ld pump alignment set they want to sell or rent? PM me if intrested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals