• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This is Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals on The Ford Ecoboost Engines! - FordTechMakuloco

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
What I get out of that is the importance of using a micron bypass oil filter, whatever oil change interval is used. Plus change those small turbo feed oil screens periodically. He did not mention anything about micron filters but that is what I was thinking the whole time.

Metal wear can take place even within 5,000 miles. Yes, changing the oil at 5,000 miles keeps the concentration of fine metal wear debris low but a good micron filter constantly filters it out.

I have used micron bypass oil filters on my two Rangers over a period of 43 years. They work. When I did the timing chain rebuild at 250K miles on my current 02 Ranger, the timing chains and sprockets showed no signs of excessive wear and no oil sludge build up was evident. Even the timing chain guides were in good condition. The plastic guides had gotten brittle but that was due to heat and age, and nothing to do with oil breakdown. That was with a 20K mile oil change interval.

I am not suggesting anyone use an extended oil change interval. I just want to point out the importance of fine filtration with a bypass filtration system. I would never suggest using a 20K miles oil change interval even with a bypass filtration system on a turbo charged engine. However, I will most likely follow the oil change minder once I install a bypass micron filter system when I eventually buy a Ranger with an Ecoboost engine. I always use a full synthetic oil also.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What I get out of that is the importance of using a micron bypass oil filter, whatever oil change interval is used. Plus change those small turbo feed oil screens periodically. He did not mention anything about micron filters but that is what I was thinking the whole time.

Metal wear can take place even within 5,000 miles. Yes, changing the oil at 5,000 miles keeps the concentration of fine metal wear debris low but a good micron filter constantly filters it out.

I have used micron bypass oil filters on my two Rangers over a period of 43 years. They work. When I did the timing chain rebuild at 250K miles on my current 02 Ranger, the timing chains and sprockets showed no signs of excessive wear and no oil sludge build up was evident. Even the timing chain guides were in good condition. The plastic guides had gotten brittle but that was due to heat and age, and nothing to do with oil breakdown. That was with a 20K mile oil change interval.

I am not suggesting anyone use an extended oil change interval. I just want to point out the importance of fine filtration with a bypass filtration system. I would never suggest using a 20K miles oil change interval even with a bypass filtration system on a turbo charged engine. However, I will most likely follow the oil change minder once I install a bypass micron filter system when I eventually buy a Ranger with an Ecoboost engine. I always use a full synthetic oil also.
I’m not saying you are wrong or arguing. Fordtechmakuloco is a through and through OEM guy from everything I remember from his videos. So, consideration of such things may never have even crossed his mind.

Also, his videos are aimed at the average vehicle owner instead of people like us who don’t mind going above and beyond. Getting people to do more than change the oil can be a major hurdle, let alone doing things that improve on the existing system.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I agree with you. I studied the Fordtechmakuloco in detail before I did my cam timing chain system rebuild. He is very detailed and knowledgeable. My brother, who is a professional mechanic and has his own shop, helped me and had some short cuts from Fordtechmakuloco's method. So, there is always more than one way to do things.

I am not disagreeing with Fordtechmakuloco, I am just giving an option to help protect the turbos.

You are right, most people would not go to the trouble of adding a bypass micron filter. I am not even sure how it affects the warranty, but I will be adding one if there is any way to do it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, aftermaket filter systems are probably not warranty friendly.

Until the last oil change we had been using Motorcraft oil at filter at the dealer with 5k intervals.

Service dept walked out at my local dealer (they are kinda limping along with three engines shot out and one fire) so I had it changed at my work (CDJR dealer) and supplied Ford oil and had it marked on the ticket as such.

Trying to reduce drama if the thing eats a turbo...

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
There's a lot of things folks could add... or you could just leave everything alone and change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There's a lot of things folks could add... or you could just leave everything alone and change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles.
It’s got my interest enough that I want to take a gander at that screen. I also want to see if there is any build up and if it can can be cleaned.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Someone should tell my younger sister this. From 2009 to 2013, she had my 98 Ranger 3.0. She put over 40,000 miles on it and never changed the oil. Oil was Valvoline Max Life 20W-50. Funny thing is, it didn't hurt a thing. Truck is going to change to 190,000 soon, and doesn't burn or leak oil at this point. And I drive it like I stole it. I'm doing 10,000 mile oil changes on it now, using 10W-40 Synthetic.

StephenF

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235-75-15
The biggest point is to not go by the oil life indicator. My F-250 is usually around 40% left when I get the 5k mark to change my oil. Some people believe they are safe going by it, even if the vehicle is using oil.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
It’s got my interest enough that I want to take a gander at that screen. I also want to see if there is any build up and if it can can be cleaned.

I'd be interested to know how easy/hard it is to access those fittings.

CMOS

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd be interested to know how easy/hard it is to access those fittings.

CMOS
1685594616941.png

Passengers side of the motor, picture is more or less the view from through the fender well.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
Just one hard line for this engine/turbo?

CMOS

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Just one hard line for this engine/turbo?

CMOS
Only one turbo. So it makes sense there would only be one line. I think only the V6 engines have two turbos.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
That number2 is a filter screen?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That number2 is a filter screen?
Yes. My impression is that it's built into the oil supply tube for the turbo. Once I get a chance to pull mine, I'll confirm if it is permanently installed or not and if it can be cleaned with brake cleaner or some other cleaner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals