• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Three ?'s about GT40 heads

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyway, the stock exhaust valve is the same size on the P heads, and the intake valve is only slightly larger. Staying with a stock cam (or even using the F4TE) in the Vic, I seriously doubt you'd run into problems.
The valve size isn't the issue here, it's the fact that the Vic's E6SE heads have the valves moved a full 1/8" farther above the pistons than all other SBF heads. Swapping heads onto a Vic motor moves the valves that much closer to the pistons. This is the reason why the Vic/Towncar/Marquis (and any other application you run across with E6SE heads) 5.0's don't have vavle reliefs in the pistons................ they didn't need em with the tiny cam they came with combined with the deeper combustion chambers.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Weeell, interference isn't much of an issue now seeing as Pick n Pull didn't have a decent 5.0 of any sort to pull from. So I'm just gonna get soem stockers to throw on. I did gank 3 cig lighters (even though I was only missing one). And ordered my gasket kit.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hmmm, I'm interested to see what you pull off of this thing Blue Chariot. Let us know what casting they are. I thought it would have E7TE's.

Did they use E6SE's on the Police package as well?

BTW, I have a set of nice E7TE's collecting dust here..... I can't give the bastards away on the local Mustang board. Too bad you aren't closer.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Shane, I have saved a lot of head flow charts but this one really is the best with the added flow %. I'd rep you also but it said I have to wait!
Dave of the Nord - back to fencing---------------
Between that chart and the one on www.carbdford.com - I chose to run the P heads. The chart on carbdford.com use to have (for some reason they removed it) the Explorer GT-40 flow numbers, which actually flow slightly less than the regular GT-40 heads IIRC.

I'm sure you've seen this one before?

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

EDIT: I should learn from you and save things like that. I had a rough time finding that again. I also can't find the intake manifold flow chart that compares the Explorer/GT40/Cobra intake manifolds I liked.

Also, by "fencing"...... are you putting up a fence, or sword fighting?

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Between that chart and the one on www.carbdford.com - I chose to run the P heads. The chart on carbdford.com use to have (for some reason they removed it) the Explorer GT-40 flow numbers, which actually flow slightly less than the regular GT-40 heads IIRC.

I'm sure you've seen this one before?

http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

EDIT: I should learn from you and save things like that. I had a rough time finding that again. I also can't find the intake manifold flow chart that compares the Explorer/GT40/Cobra intake manifolds I liked.

Also, by "fencing"...... are you putting up a fence, or sword fighting?
I thought that "fencing" question might come up. Dig cylindrical holes in the ground and putting a large square peg in it. The intake info you were looking for is over at AllFordMustangs in their 5.0 sticky tech area. Tell the difference between the styles and years.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/170993-official-explorer-gt40-cobra-intake-thread.html
Dave of the Nord

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I thought that "fencing" question might come up. Dig cylindrical holes in the ground and putting a large square peg in it. The intake info you were looking for is over at AllFordMustangs in their 5.0 sticky tech area. Tell the difference between the styles and years.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/170993-official-explorer-gt40-cobra-intake-thread.html
Dave of the Nord
All those charts are from a book that can be found at your local Barnes & Noble store. I looked thru it just yesterday. :D Don't recall the title but it was something like "Dyno Proven SBF combos"

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm, I'm interested to see what you pull off of this thing Blue Chariot. Let us know what casting they are. I thought it would have E7TE's.

BTW, I have a set of nice E7TE's collecting dust here..... I can't give the bastards away on the local Mustang board. Too bad you aren't closer.
The E6SE heads were used on all the Crown Vic/ Towncar/ Marquis 5.0's, not sure if that included the Cop cars. They were also used in some of the T-Bird/Cougar 5.0's and of course the 86 Mustang HO motor, and a few found their way into pickups and vans, but these primarily had E7TE heads. Both can be ID'd by the letter cast into the lower corner next to the valve cover rail ( T for E7TE, S for E6SE )

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I know shipping would feel like being buttraped by USPS/UPS/FedEx/Etc, but what would you sell them for? I really need a set of heads, and if I don't get a decent set soon, I'll have to go back to PnP to yank some old stockers OR save another 2 damn months for heads. It will kill me to not be mobile for that much longer, especially with the "I need to find employment" issue.

I'm assuming there aren't major differences between E7TE's and E6SE's?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming there aren't major differences between E7TE's and E6SE's?
There's a 25 HP difference between the two. The E6 heads make excellant bottomend torque, but are 25 hp short of the E7's on the topend. E6 chambers are 4ccs bigger than E7's. And the valves are severely shrouded on E6's, due to their being sunken deeper into the casting and the chamber shape.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah. That's a sizeable difference.

Well, I picked up a stock upper intake, and a set of GT40 heads for 60 bucks, came of a foxbody, I'm assuming an '87 and up model.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ah. That's a sizeable difference.

Well, I picked up a stock upper intake, and a set of GT40 heads for 60 bucks, came of a foxbody, I'm assuming an '87 and up model.
:icon_confused: That's odd someone would do those heads and put a stock intake back on :icon_confused:

Did you get them at PNP?

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
There's a 25 HP difference between the two. The E6 heads make excellant bottomend torque, but are 25 hp short of the E7's on the topend. E6 chambers are 4ccs bigger than E7's. And the valves are severely shrouded on E6's, due to their being sunken deeper into the casting and the chamber shape.
Is the 86 Mustang casting the E6SE's? aka "swirl heads"

The E6SE heads were used on all the Crown Vic/ Towncar/ Marquis 5.0's, not sure if that included the Cop cars. They were also used in some of the T-Bird/Cougar 5.0's and of course the 86 Mustang HO motor, and a few found their way into pickups and vans, but these primarily had E7TE heads. Both can be ID'd by the letter cast into the lower corner next to the valve cover rail ( T for E7TE, S for E6SE )
Oops, I didn't see this baddad. THANKS!!

Dave of the Nord
THAT'S IT!!! Maybe that's where I have it, in a Super Ford mag. Thanks Dave!

Last edited:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: That's odd someone would do those heads and put a stock intake back on :icon_confused:

Did you get them at PNP?
No, it was a posting on craigslist. A guy who is the parts manager at the Hyundai place in Tallahassee was workin on a stang the dealership bought and they are doing it up so they were sellin the parts. He HAD a complete GT40 intake too, but unfortunately that was sold already. The stock intake was an extra part that wasnt on the car.

Now I'm REALLY hoping the head will work lol I got a mad deal. The guy was really cool too. I didn't have change for the full $75 bucks it originally all was so he said $60 was fine. He said he wants them to be put to use instead of scrapped. Now I'm gonna have a spare intake to try some porting on.

PnP can eat a sack of dicks at this point (or at least the guy I talked to), they won't take my Mazda because it doesnt have a title, when you don;t need one because it's an '84 and just requires a bill of sale.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals