• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Bodies

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I don't think I've ever read a thread with so much bad information!
The 1 thing that a larger throttle body will do is increase the low end torque of the motor if the fuel system/ecm can deal with the extra flow. Low end torque being what is needed most in a 3.0!
No, the factory designs aren't perfect. Everything is a comprimise to something else. That is why companies like Jegs exist. The bad part is that the 3.0 needs to be almost completely redesigned to get any BIG gains. The bore and stroke of the 3.0 is capable of making MUCH more HP and TQ at lower rpms. Once again, it was built the way it was as a comprimise to something else.
If the cooling system is functioning properly, the installation of a 180deg thermo will keep the engine at 180 more often then any other temp. As a cold engine requires more fuel than a hot engine, the 180 deg thermo should cause you to burn MORE fuel and not do much else for you. The only way it should cause a gain is if the fuel map is closer to what it should be at 180deg than it is at 196deg. The engine SHOULD be more efficient at 196deg, doesn't mean it is.
Messing with things that the ecm controls is going to lead to a problem somewhere. Once you have done some mods, A custom ecm program would give much better results! Let me know if you find someone that will do that reasonable.
On a final note, I have 3 3.0 powered Rangers and I'm very happy with them. One I race offroad with good results. Gearing is the ultimate mod.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
The 1 thing that a larger throttle body will do is increase the low end torque of the motor if the fuel system/ecm can deal with the extra flow. Low end torque being what is needed most in a 3.0!

...And that's all i started this thread for....

No, the factory designs aren't perfect. Everything is a comprimise to something else. That is why companies like Jegs exist. The bad part is that the 3.0 needs to be almost completely redesigned to get any BIG gains.
Im not looking to gain 30-40 HP necessarily, just maybe 5-10 or so if i can...

On a final note, I have 3 3.0 powered Rangers and I'm very happy with them. One I race offroad with good results. Gearing is the ultimate mod.
I'm happy with mine too and I just can't fathom the wrath people have for them...I've driven just as many 4.0's (some ohv, some sohc) as I have 3.0's and a few 4 poppers too and the 3.0 is not bad. Why they killed it and kept the 4.0 when the 3.0 is a more modern and stout design and was within 10-15 HP of the 4.0 before OHC is a mystery to me. But I digress...

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of a throttle body that bolted easily onto a 3.0. I'm not planning on going wild with this thing, and I am not trying to go fast, just "less slow" aka improve driveability, not to say its particularly bad.:icon_thumby:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've researched for years and not found a throttle body within my reach for the 3.0.
I agree on the 4.0, they should have dumped it YEARS ago. A simple head redesign could put the output of the 3.0 above that of the 4.0. The 3.0 has been FAR more durable.
On the buisness side of things, the 3.0 has caused Ford to loose money for many years. Even after they tried to design in flaws. The 4.0 sohc on the other hand almost NEVER outlasts a body and the 3.0 almost always does.
I am sorry if I hurt the feelings of any 4.0 fans out there, I really don't like it when people bash anything Ranger! I'm just relaying what I see.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Well I looked around, and found this:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?107586-5.0-throttle-body-install-(99-ranger-3.0L)

which led me to this:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?107586-5.0-throttle-body-install-(99-ranger-3.0L)

WHICH IS A DEAD LINK!:pissedoff:

So people HAVE done it, people with 98+'s have done it, and I can't find a walkthrough on HOW!

So unless you can contribute to this party fellas, you're just :stirthepot:....

From what I've seen in junkyards, there ARE throttle bodies that WILL work on a 3.0, but the junkyard I was at didn't have any newer 3.0's sitting around (PLENTY of 4.0's though, hmmmm:icon_twisted:), and all the 3.0's were in Taurus's. I didn't drive the Ranger so I couldn't really compare. Next time I'm going with pics in hand and what not and I'll see what I come up with...

:icon_cheers:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know people have used 5.0 throttle bodies in the past using a billet adapter plate. Maybe thats an option? James, you've got a pm.

Spoone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Has there been any progress on this?
I'm looking for the same sort of thing, but haven't found much information, either.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
After all this, I took a different tact and started gathering the pieces to swap the whole upper intake to the newer style with longer runners. Some people on here have done it, the IAC is on the newer intake plenum itself, which opens more possibilities for throttle bodies, and those that have done it say the torque curve is better. However, the coil pack is located on the valve cover and the throttle linkage changes on the newer plenums.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool! There used to be write ups on the swap on some other forums, but I'm not sure they're still around. Take pics and let us know how it goes.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals