• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle cable

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey, i read the writeup regarding the popular throttle cable zip tie mod. i was wondering if anyone has done this where they crimp something on there to take up the slap rather than wrapping a million zip ties, if so how did it turn out? there seems to be quite a bit of slack in mine but i'm afraid of taking up too much slack and creating a situation where the cable continues to pull on the throttle plate when it is at wide open while the pedal has yet to hit the mat. I plan on removing the intake tube and having a second person work the pedal while i look so i can judge how much the cable needs adjustment based off the throttle plate position. . . until then anyone see any reason not to do it? or any reason not to crimp something on there rather than zip ties?
thanks,
-Jeff

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I performed the zip tie mod shortly after reading the write up. It significantly improved my throttle response and pedal sensitivity. In my particular case there was quite a bit of slack in my throttle cable. The mod was definitely worthwhile. I had to bend myself into a pretzel to get at the cable under the dash but the results were great. I think zip ties are going to be easiest considering the space restrictions in which you are trying to work. Simply pick up on the pedal to expose the slack in the throttle cable and apply ties. There is no need to worry about screwing it up. Just use enough ties to fill in the gap and don't add any more if there isn't quite enough room. I needed 3 if I recall correctly. Good luck. You will like the difference. I showed my nephew how to do it on his S-10 and he really liked it.

satan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
split-shot style fishing weights can be crimped onto the cable (pedal end)... I my distorted little world this seems like an easier way to do it as well. the pedal-side of the weigh can be "adjusted" (trimmed) to get a pretty good fit and help to assure you're not placing extra tension on the cable... (anything more than full open isn't)

I add a layer of heat-shrink ofre ther top of the weight and the original cable end to keep things inline and in place. Super easy way to "fine tune" cable length IMHO.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks! split shot is actually what i had in mind, just didn't know if it would hold seeing as those are so soft, thats what im gonna try

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals