• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing belt. help a.s.a.p. please!!!!!!!!!!

Hollywood88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My timing belt on my 97 ranger 2.3 has stretched and needs replaced, any body got a clue on how hard it is to change it and how long does it take, any tips to make it easier on me would would be greatfully appreciated.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are many many threads on timing belts, please do a search. The hardest part is removing the crank bolt, easier if you have an impact wrench, then prying the crank pulley off of the shaft takes patients and heat and patients and prying and time.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Crank bolt is cake ... put a breaker bar on it so that it hits the driver's side frame rail and bump the starter.

bubba cakes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
that's what i did

the breaker bar trick really works. make sure your socket is fully seated on the crankshaft pulley bolt, that the breaker bar is firmly against the frame, then bump the starter for a half second. to make sure the breaker bar doesn't slip, i used a C-clamp to clamp it to the rail. it took two bumps of the starter to loosen it.

i would NOT try to get the pulley off without a pulley puller. buy one, steal one, borrow one... it makes the pulley come off without a problem.

it took me a long time to change my timing belt, 'cause i had to figure it out by reading the manual. oh, yeah, if you haven't got a manual, go buy one. read and complete the instructions one sentence at a time. space is tight, so when the manual suggest ya remove the radiator, do it. it's only two simple bolts and it lifts right out. it will have to come out to use the pulley puller, probably.:icon_confused:

and remember, it's supposed to be fun! hahaha

TooManyRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The timing marks on my 96 ranger were different from what was in Chilton’s and Haynes. It has been about a year but if my memory is correct there are two marks on each pulley (camshaft and oil pump) a diamond and a triangle. Line up the triangle for the oil pump with the triangle on the back plate and the diamond for the camshaft with the triangle on the back plate.
The books were correct on the rest. I usually get both Chilton’s and Haynes manuals and compare before I start a project. Occasionally I find important disagreements between the manuals (like torque specs and patterns on the cylinder head)

TooManyRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
For the crank pulley, I used the tap and rotate method of removal because is did not want to remove the radiator so I could fit a puller. This method works well if you have a child you can plant behind the wheel to frog the engine on command every few seconds. Just be gentle with it and use a piece of wood between the hammer and the pulley.

On the other hand there is much to be said for using the "proper" tools.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
and the diamond for the camshaft with the triangle on the back plate.
Backwards. Diamond on the aux, and triangle on the camshaft.

The crank pulley is not a press fit, but close to it. If it isn't ancient, and rusted to hell and gone, try two pry bars on each side of the pully and work it off. It sometimes takes a gentle tap from a hammer to break it loose. Don't tap too hard as it bends easily.:)shady

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Somebody fill me in, I dont remember removing the crank pulley for my timing belt. I didnt swap it I was jsut adjusting it, but still. Is there a difference between teh 92 2.3 and the 97? I remeber removing the radiator fan but I that was the pulley with 4 bolts, not hte crank. Im really lost reading this...

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know what you would be adjusting, but to change the belt, you have to remove the crank pulley as there is a retaining washer behind the pulley that keeps the belt from running off the sprocket.

A couple of guys have changed the belt in an emergency by bending the washer out of the way, but...not recommended.:)shady

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont forget to put that washer back on when you put the pulley back on. My buddy forgot to put his on but its still running stronge and I wouldnt trust starting it.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dont forget to put that washer back on when you put the pulley back on. My buddy forgot to put his on but its still running stronge and I wouldnt trust starting it.
By adjusting I mean adjusting cam timing. I hada post in here about it somewhere... Either way, i didnt know about the washer, thats good knowledge for retention. I think maybe my washer might already be gone cuz i never saw it.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
By adjusting I mean adjusting cam timing. I hada post in here about it somewhere... Either way, i didnt know about the washer, thats good knowledge for retention. I think maybe my washer might already be gone cuz i never saw it.
With the factory cam sprocket, there's not really any adjusting. You're either dead on, or off a tooth in either direction.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the factory cam sprocket, there's not really any adjusting. You're either dead on, or off a tooth in either direction.
Yeah but this was before I realized my waste spark had two points with no fire. So I went back and forth 1-2 teeth at a time till I forgot where I was and ended up going all the way around tooth by tooth til it ran the way it was before LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals