• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timken Bearing with Koyo Cup

achampagne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I am rebuilding my rear axle, and I have a question about shimming. I saw online that when replacing pinion bearing, there is no need to reshim the pinion. So I re assemble the axle, check the pattern on the gears, and the markings indicated that I need to thin my pinion shim. That confused me so I disassemble everything. After further analysis, I saw that the pinion bearing was Koyo but the bearing cup was Timken. Would the different brands cause the messed up pinion depth? I destroyed the bearing pulling it off the pinion, and went ahead and ordered a Timken bearing to match the Timken cup. Would this need reshimming too?

UPDATE: The answer is yes the difference in brands does make a difference.
Both the cup and the bearing were brand new but after inspecting the bearing, they were slightly different. The rollers for the Timken bearing were thinner and longer than the Koyo bearing. After putting the Timken bearing in, the mesh pattern was perfect.

NOTE: Make sure to check the branding on both the bearing and cup.
I bought a complete rebuild kit for the axle from summit, and failed to check the branding for the cup and bearing. They all should be the same brand, but make sure to double check.

Hopefully this can help someone out in the future

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The bearing and the cup should be replaced as a set. Whether that will change the depth and require different shims will depend on where the new bearing and cup sit in the tolerance range.

I would count on having to reset the depth so you have what you need on hand.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Any time you change something in the rear axle; axle, carrier, gears, or just bearings something is going to change specially if the makes are different. Keeping with the same manufacturer will make things easier, but as you did, "trust but verify" is always a good thing to do. I'm not a machinist, but machines will get worn over time. So a bearing made 10 years ago won't have the same tolerances a bearing made today will have.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I would really rather not run a new bearing on a race especially in a rear axle.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I am rebuilding my rear axle, and I have a question about shimming. I saw online that when replacing pinion bearing, there is no need to reshim the pinion. So I re assemble the axle, check the pattern on the gears, and the markings indicated that I need to thin my pinion shim. That confused me so I disassemble everything. After further analysis, I saw that the pinion bearing was Koyo but the bearing cup was Timken. Would the different brands cause the messed up pinion depth? I destroyed the bearing pulling it off the pinion, and went ahead and ordered a Timken bearing to match the Timken cup. Would this need reshimming too?
The "cup" is the outer race if the bearing. Although you can buy the inner race and rolling element without the outer race, it is best to replace them as a matched set. Especially don't mix and match different brands except for an emergency temporary repair. They may not keep the same tolerances. Bearings are precision parts, but only if used and treated properly.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
machines will get worn over time. So a bearing made 10 years ago won't have the same tolerances a bearing made today will have.
I'm thinking you are referring to a 10 year old used bearing. New bearing, old race? Not good.

Otherwise I would have no issues with a new bearing that's been sitting on the shelf for 10 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals