• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To giant or not to giant?

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
So I've been kicking around a few ideas about the back of my truck. I want to stay with the leaf springs in the back but definately want to get some better travel numbers out of it. The two ideas I have are:

1. Get the 64" giant kit. http://giantmotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=51

2. Use 64" pro comp springs.

The giant kit would be great but the cost is just a bit to much for me right now. If I got some procomp leaves for a K1500 they would be the same size and spring rate as the deavers that come with the giant kit (Although 5 leaf vs 9 leaf). I would still do the shackle flip with a longer shackle and get new shocks if I went the pro comp route. The price difference really just comes into play with using the stock mounts attached to the frame and spring over vs spring under on the axle.

Any thoughts or sugestions would be great.

Thx
Andrew

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
talk to dave at Threat, he jsut came out with a kit jsut like Giants but no where near the price. I wouldnt do the pro-comp springs cause they wont have the preload in them for the desert that is needed (thats the major difference between the 5 leafs and 9 leafs)

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Don't see anything on his site but I'll give him a call monday or tuesday and see what other goodies he has that aren't listed.

Andrew

MiniFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
look up the Chevy leafs to ranger in the tech lib

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
look up the Chevy leafs to ranger in the tech lib

That is just a cheap way to make it a tad bit better than a stock leaf pack. The Chevy leaf pack lacks pre-load and the spring rate is not consistent. If you want a leaf sprung truck to actually handle good in the rough stuff it needs to be consistent and a lot of pre-load.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't see anything on his site but I'll give him a call monday or tuesday and see what other goodies he has that aren't listed.

Andrew
yeah hes just put them on a customers truck and is finishing the truck up, then doing some testing from what he has told me.

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
yeah hes just put them on a customers truck and is finishing the truck up, then doing some testing from what he has told me.
You should get them for your truck so its truely a "threat" truck through and through and sell me the giant one :D

If he's just now testing it though it might be a while before it would be ready for production and I need to get new springs soon. I played a bit to much last week and the already weak spring pack has now distorted well beyond what I feel comfortable with. The main looks like a "w" and the lower 3 are going in all different directions. I suppose I could pull the leaves off my other truck for now if the price warrents the wait.

Andrew

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Simply... you get what you pay for. Especially with offroad parts.

Dave has nice kits, and better prices so i would see what hes offering first.
But giants 64" leafs have been out for awhile and they have the "link killer" by-passes that are designed to work together

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should get them for your truck so its truely a "threat" truck through and through and sell me the giant one :D

If he's just now testing it though it might be a while before it would be ready for production and I need to get new springs soon. I played a bit to much last week and the already weak spring pack has now distorted well beyond what I feel comfortable with. The main looks like a "w" and the lower 3 are going in all different directions. I suppose I could pull the leaves off my other truck for now if the price warrents the wait.

Andrew
Its actually not a Threat spring but I have played a roll in getting it to where it is today. It will be a product I will sell though because it is just plain bad ass.
Testing has been happening for nearly 2 years. The new leaf pack has one more trip to go with 450 hp pushing it. This new leaf pack works insanely well. It keeps its ride height, and pre-load unlike every other pack out there. Evenwith off the shelf valving it works better then any pack out there with the same valving. The consistency of the pack makes tuning it much easier and it will be much easier on the wallet. Last testing it could hang with my truck and passed a certain leaf pack kit with more hp that we brought along for comparison.:D I am simply blown away by it and can not wait to help promote it. Hell I may even run them on the Family Wagon!

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Andrew
haha no cause the only time those springs are gunna come off are when i go to a link setup lol.

Simply... you get what you pay for. Especially with offroad parts.

Dave has nice kits, and better prices so i would see what hes offering first.
But giants 64" leafs have been out for awhile and they have the "link killer" by-passes that are designed to work together
eh not all the time, reseach can go a long ways. Daves stuff is cheap but does NOT sacrific quality. there is tons of mark up in todays suspension parts for prerunners and race trucks. Take some of that mark up out and now your parts are cheaper so more people can afford those parts and are willing to buy more due to the quailty. I know that those shocks as "specifically" for the kit but i kinda find it hard to believe as it all still comes down to the valving inside and your rear weight. Dave knows his stuff so i know his spring kit will be as good or even better than the giant kit i have. Hell i really wanna see it work!

Its actually not a Threat spring but I have played a roll in getting it to where it is today. It will be a product I will sell though because it is just plain bad ass.
Testing has been happening for nearly 2 years. The new leaf pack has one more trip to go with 450 hp pushing it. This new leaf pack works insanely well. It keeps its ride height, and pre-load unlike every other pack out there. Evenwith off the shelf valving it works better then any pack out there with the same valving. The consistency of the pack makes tuning it much easier and it will be much easier on the wallet. Last testing it could hang with my truck and passed a certain leaf pack kit with more hp that we brought along for comparison.:D I am simply blown away by it and can not wait to help promote it. Hell I may even run them on the Family Wagon!
Oh how i hate you lol. Well when and if you do put them on the family wagon, let me know cause ill probably buy your link kit off ya :D. By the way, how is my kit comin?

Last edited:

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
So Dave are you toying around with a release date sometime in the near future for these amazing sounding leaves?

If you need another truck to test them on I'd be more than willing to let you play with mine :D lol

Andrew

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
haha no cause the only time those springs are gunna come off are when i go to a link setup lol.

eh not all the time, reseach can go a long ways. Daves stuff is cheap but does NOT sacrific quality. there is tons of mark up in todays suspension parts for prerunners and race trucks. Take some of that mark up out and now your parts are cheaper so more people can afford those parts and are willing to buy more due to the quailty. I know that those shocks as "specifically" for the kit but i kinda find it hard to believe as it all still comes down to the valving inside and your rear weight. Dave knows his stuff so i know his spring kit will be as good or even better than the giant kit i have. Hell i really wanna see it work!

Oh how i hate you lol. Well when and if you do put them on the family wagon, let me know cause ill probably buy your link kit off ya :D. By the way, how is my kit comin?
Everything has been ordered so it shouldnt be to long. :D

So Dave are you toying around with a release date sometime in the near future for these amazing sounding leaves?

If you need another truck to test them on I'd be more than willing to let you play with mine :D lol

Andrew

If I could I would release yesterday :D

Smurf Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Dave,

Any chance I could swing by and take a look at some of your goodies in person? I'll be out that way june 10th and 11th for a family reunion.

Andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals