• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Top or bottom hole for drop bracket?

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Brought my truck in for an alignment and get my camber set. I forgot to replace the axle beam bushings when i swapped new axles with my lift so my trucks been in the shop for about a week. I have the stage 1 3 inch duff lift and your supposed to use the top holes on your axle brackets. When they replaced my bushings they said the bushings were binding and couldnt get them into the top hole so its mounted in the bottom hole thats for the bigger lift. Is there anything wrong with this?? My alignments getting done tomorrow but the camber is set and looks solid.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If they can align it, it's no problem at all. Many lift kits only have one hole in the brackets.

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Ok awesome thanks shran!!!

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
kcm,

The prudent move, because of Duff's excellent product support, is to install the system ONLY as recommend by their staff (or the installation instructions provided by them).

You have chosen to pay ToP dollar for very well engineered lift, why install it incorrectly, on purpose?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
HOws the ride height? Check this:

Last edited:

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I sent a message to duff asking and the ride height seems to be level just an inch higher in the rear. I just wanna make sure its ok to use the bottom hole instead

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Obeying the instructions is wise. BUT, I would think that the bottom hole should be fine. It probably made it easier to get the camber adjusted and might even allow more downtravel when offroading.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I should mention also that they may be having trouble getting the bolt in one hole simply because they have already inserted the radius arm into the crossmember (?). My order of assembly is always Pivot bolt FIRST, then with the pinch bolts loose, insert the radius arm into the crossmember, tighten the nut somewhat, then torque down the pinch bolts, put the spring in, and torque the radius arm nut and pivot bolt. Done.

I have seen people try to put a pivot bolt in second or last or with the pinch bolts tight... that's the hard way, of course something will bind.

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
yea I'm really not sure I just need a solid answer before I get it back, there waiting 2 days for shipping for the correct camber bushings and give it an alignment

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I really think it is going to depend on the alignment guy. The shop that's installing the lift is not doing the alignment, am I understanding that right?

Using the upper hole would seem ideal as it is indicated to do so by the lift manufacturer. Using the lower hole could potentially move your camber measurement in a negative direction slightly... upper hole will go the other way. That will affect what camber bushings you use. Closer to 0° is ideal for ball joint wear. So your alignment guy might prefer to use a bushing closer to that and move the pivot bolt... or not, he might just want to throw a big bushing in it and call it good. I think either way is fine.

Did you order adjustable bushings? If you ordered fixed ones you may have to buy different ones once it's on the alignment rack... it is just about impossible to tell which ones you need till they have it on the rack and can take a measurement,

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I'm not too sure what to do at the moment. I told duff my issue and I'm waiting to hear from a lead tech. I went back down to the shop to see exactly what the problem was and he was saying it goes into the top hole but its binding metal on metal in the bracket. He said he put it into the bottom hold and put it onto the ground and it sat level and the camber was almost very close. they ordered camber bushing they needed to get it right I'm not sure which ones they ordered. But he said as soon as the camber bushing are here and its aligned its all done, but im just concerned if being in the wrong hole on the bracket is going to be an issue in the future.

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
The shop i brought it to was just going to do my camber and alignment but when i swapped my axles and put the lift on i forgot to replace the axle beam bushings. So they went ahead and replaced them but he said when i brought it in originally he said it was binding in the bracket in the top hole.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weird... the axle beam is binding against the drop bracket? That can happen if the beam is close to the upper or lower limits of its travel... but should definitely not happen at or anywhere close to normal ride height.

I'm assuming you have drop brackets on the radius arms? or extended radius arms/whatever Duff gave you with the lift? Almost sounds to me like the beam is bent, the caster is WAY off because of some radius arm issue, the drop bracket wasn't made correctly, or something, or they had it drooped way down and had problems.

Either way if they can align it and your steering linkage is in phase or close with the axle beams.......don't worry about it long term.

kcm94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
yea I have the drop brackets I really wish I forked up the extra money for the extended radius arms, I might be buying those and the 2 inch body lift soon...I just hope duff answers me backs again soon so I can see what a lead tech says. I just wanna know the reason to why it would be an issue or what my problem could be of why it would be binding. I feel like have the extended arms would've made everything a lot happier I'm just not sure what the problem would be at this point.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I see... so you're using the factory radius arms and crossmember? I can almost guarantee that's causing your issue, if that's indeed the case. You need to drop the crossmember, thus clocking the beams slightly and relieving the binding... I think leaving it as it is now is going to throw your caster off a lot too.

Just FWIW. Rangers in the late 80's had a factory optional 1.5" lift package. Ford had a special dropped crossmember just for that application. You have doubled that amount of lift with no drop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals