• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tornado struck bound to be better!

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so the truck wasn't really struck by a tornado but sure looks like it was.

Recently we picked up a 96 ranger 2wd 4 banger stick shift green with tan interior (well what was left of the interior.

Problems with this truck: Has quite a few dents but nothing some body work can't take care of, the interior is gutted minus dash, carpet, and a few interior trim pieces along with door panels, windshield is broken, left window is missing, back window is missing, it is green, the 3rd gen body style is not the best looking in my opinion, the truck's engine is missing and probably more.

Good: it was $250 with a tittle and was the same wheel base as my chassis I have.

Now I know what you are thinking it is a 2wd 4 banger mine as well lower it and make a street rod out of it but oh no this baby is going through way more!

When I picked up my explorer it came with a parts truck 92 ranger 4x4 4.0L V6 A4LD auto transfer case with bad front hubs. The rest is good had close to $1200 put into it before he found out the tittle had a problem.

The explorer is my Daily driver so the ranger will be my brother (the one that gets the Bronco 2) daily driver and truck (yes he is a member and will probably update this thread once in a while but I will be doing most of the work (oldest brother always have to help the youngers) LOL)

So plan is this:
Phase 1:
swap the 96 body, clip, bed, and bumpers onto the 92 chassis once I figure out the small problem with the 4.0L. Find a set of hubs and use all the wiring from the 92. I know I will have a little custom wiring to do but using the 92 wiring, computer and all that will make it much easier. All interior minus door panels, rear jump seats, and headliner from the 92 will be going into the 96 cab. Probably will be using the A/c system from the 96 if possible.

Before I swap it I probably will pull a few of the dents out.

Unfortunately the 92 dash top does have cracking but I will be running it for a while.

Once it is running and driving start with cosmetics!

Either I will be fixing the front clip and hope the 3rd gen ranger grows on me or will be doing a different swap to something different. If I can I will use the 2nd gen front clip on it but only if the body lines take little to no work to match up (little things like that drive me nuts). If I can use the 2nd gen front clip it will make the front part of the truck even easier.

Find a left window glass and windshield (I have the rear window in good shape sliding rear which I have verified will fit.)

Find a set of 15" tires (probably 235 75 R15s) to fit the stock 92 ranger wheels that I have then will paint them black and put chrome caps on them.

That will be phase 1 my brother will just drive it like it is.

Phase 2 (fun modding begins):
once the 4.0L or A4LD lets go drop a 302 or 351 under the hood bolted to probably a C6 or AOD.
smoked or clear all lights (probably will just VHT the turns and tail lights along with third brake light)
Either way probably a billet grille weather I keep the 96 clip or go to the 92 clip.
CB radio with dual firesticks on the rear bumper probably.
Either a camper shell, roll bar, a tonna cover, or a truck box.
Brush guard.
Tons of lights.
Cowl hood (much later)
enough lift for 31s or 33s
regear to accomidate
nicer wheels
probably a lot more I can't think of right now.

here are the pics of what it looks like right now.
Trav

with the bronco 2, my F150, and my other brother's F250:

I did get the drop in bedliner out and the tailgate mounted:

Last edited:

1990Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you got a lot of work to do!! Better get crackin'! :icon_welder:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok finally got this party started and movin good.

Yesterday I knew having the 92 chassis one one side of the yard and having the 96 on the other was going to be a huge hassle so I went around looking for 3 5 on 4.5 wheels with pumped up tires. Found all 3 of them (2 off a trailer and 1 off our parts bronco 2 we no longer have) and got them on the truck. My dad decided he would use his truck so I don't have to mess up the explorer and since the Bronco 2 wouldn't start.
Dad backed his 89 F250 4x4 ZF5 351W truck up to the ranger hooked a tow strap up and I threw my youngest brother (the one whom the truck is going to) in the truck to steer it). Dad started pulling and next thing you know the left front wheel wasn't spinning I didn't care to much being the 89 was pulling it fine so I left it be automatically assuming it was the caliper stuck. So we pulled the ranger down to the back by the trash to clean out the interior. Got all the trash out and swept the carpet up well. Unfortunately I won't be using the 96s carpet being it is a stick shift. So once we got it cleaned out pulled it up front again by the ranger chassis. I wanted both side by side problem was I couldn't get the 89 in their so I unhooked the tow strap and my family of 6 (10 year old sister, mom, me, 2 brothers, and dad) all tried pushing it with the left front wheel not spinning. After I decided it wasn't going to work I decided I would see if maybe I could mess with the caliper to get it unstuck. Well turns out caliper was fine it was actually the wheel was a negative off set so the wheel was hitting the caliper not letting it spin. So I grabbed my star wrench loosened the lug nuts some and we pushed and sure enough it came free and we got it where we wanted it.

After that we had about an hour worth of work we got done:
first I pulled the rear bumper and mounted it on the 92 chassis since this bumper was perfectly straight. Then I pulled the tail light so it wouldn't get broken any more. Then I had my brother start pulling the bolts to the bed while me and my dad started some body work. Got most of the dents out but not all got to look today to see what we can do.
Also got the bed off the truck and sat it aside.

Before I install the bed I need to pull the 96 fuel pump make sure it is good if so drop it into the 92 tank since I tore apart the 92 pump for my explorer. Also have to paint the frame just going to rattle can it black but that is fine for where I am. Also going to swap the wiring that I need over to that frame and pull a few more dents from the bed then drop it on and install the tail lights.

Next will be the cab part of the truck.
Trav

Anyways here are the pics:
you can see the drag marks the ranger left behind:

Down in the back cleaning it out:

Bumper removed body work started:

Bumper installed on 92 4x4 chassis (ignore the front part of a cab I kept it for something else):

Youngest brother under the truck PB blasting the bed bolts, other brother with a razor blade removing the Mazda sticker, and dad examining to see what needs done next on the body:

not sure how much of the mazda he got off but I think he got most off:

Brother getting up from under the truck:

Bed removed (never knew Ford put hay between the cab and bed to stop rattling LOL)

Hopefully will clean the bed before I put it back on the truck:

Last edited:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well a few updates.
Got the cab off the truck the other day right now it is sitting on a few pallets and mobile home tires sitting about to my waist height. LOL We are waiting for a decent day to paint the frame and start transferring what wiring we need to over.

Got the 96 chassis completely stripped and scrapped the frame. All I have left is the 3.08 or 3.55 open diff 7.5 rear axle for parts for the Bronco 2 and the 2wd front end along with 2wd trans.

also got what we needed minus the dash out of the cab. Once the truck is on the chassis I will start stripping the 96 interior that I don't want and dropping in the 92 dash.

While I have the truck at this stage is their any mods I can do to make the 4.0L have some more power. Also wondering if I could put F150 coils in the 92 ranger chassis and build the rear springs enough to get some lift between the 92 and 96 rear springs?
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Started pulling a few dents out on the cab. Unfortunately can't get the door perfectly straight but we did get it better then it was. The rear part of the cab is double layered so I cant get that out but luckily the dent isn't to bad.

It just has been to windy to paint the chassis. Plus I have to figure out a few things if they are going to work or not now that I look at them.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so been extremely busy and forgot all about this thread.

I ended up painting the chassis black. The engine I ended up having problems with so pulled it in favor of another parts truck engine.

Got most of the dents out.

Got the bed on.

Put a new oil pan gasket on the new engine and retorqued everything to spec.
Installed it.

I then proceeded to putting a set of Jeep Wheels on wrapped in 235 75 R15s.

Took the firewall and cut what I didn't need out and welded in what I did need. Installed the A/C box from the 92.

Got the cab on.

Laid out the cab harness and installed it.
Got another dash from the parts truck and just waiting to install it (needs modifications)
Got most of a new front clip mostly for a cheap price and installed it painting the grille black leaving the upper chrome.

All that is left to do is:
install radiator
install dash
install AC accumulator
modify pedal assembly
install some more interior parts
install the seats I have
install the rest of the wiring (main harness and dash harness)
solder the three tail light bulb set up in and the front turn signals
install the 92 bumper (like the look of it more and it looks decent)
wire up the third brake light
top off all fluids
install window track
get new windshield
install rear window
install intake box and coolant resivore
and install the hitch. After that everything will be modifying for fun and maintance.
Trav
Pics of the cab on:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Finished modifying the brake booster and auto trans brake pedal to fit. Now need to modify the firewall for the steering column and install it.
The other day I got the computer harness mostly hooked up got a few more things to do and I got the intake box in with a custom cold air intake that probably isn't my best work but is plenty good enough for the intake of this little 6 banger.
The truck now has all its hydraulic parts to the brakes. Once I finish the inside work and wiring I hopefully will be able to get pads, shoes, and rear adjusting equipment if the parts explorer doesn't have the adjusting equipment.

new list of needs to be done:
brake job
finish computer harness mounting
install the main harness
move battery box
install coolant overflow
install radiator and Ac stuff plus trans cooler
install dash, seats, carpet, and interior trim pieces
solder tail and front turn signal lights in
finish bolting down the cab
hook up tcase wiring harness
get a new windshield
install back window
put the track in for drivers window
install hood
install bumper
install the hitch
and wire in the third brake light.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Just noticed I never said this but I sold the transmission that came with the truck 2wd for $125.
Trav

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals