• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Hook Idea

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
My buddy gave me a tow hook off he sheared the bolts off of from his 2004 F-150. It is a huge tow hook. I was thinking about bolting it to my rear bumper hole. It looks cool but I dont know how well it would work. Any ideas on other ways to mount it to the back?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the step bumper is much too weak to be used for a recovery hook mount. the hook needs to be attached directly to the frame in order to be usable.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't know. Most people put on a tow hook and it's held the the bottom flange of the end of the frame with 2 bolts. The step bumper is bolted to the web of the frame with 4-6 bolts. A towing step bumper has the center section reinforced between the frame members. It's really not a problem. Lots of people use a 3/4" clevis pinned through that hole and it is better than a tow hook in my opinion. Just make sure it's a good bumper well bolted and reinforced.

I don't like either method. I hate tow hooks on the bottom web. They bend the frame in many cases. The bumper is better as it's pulling on the webs with more bolts. The best for the rear is a reciever or custom bumper.

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I don't like either method. I hate tow hooks on the bottom web. They bend the frame in many cases.
if your bending the stubs of the frame with them then imagine what the same amount of force would do when applied to the center of a bumper. id rather bend the stubs of my frame a little than the middle of my bumper a lot.

ill agree that a reciever hitch is the best option for rear recovery though....mine has come in VERY handy.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have to imagine anything. I've seen a lot of clevis's in the ball hole and never seen a bumper fail. I've seen crappy bumper roll forward. A good bumper has a 1/4" plate between the rails. My B2 bumper does.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your saying the stock step bumper is stronger than a hook bolted directly to the frame rails...

give me some of what youre smoking.

ive seen factory step bumpers tweaked all out of shape just from towing with them...much less the jolting forces experienced during a recovery effort.

in fact my step bumper was bent just from a taught tow chain (attached to my receiver) rubbing against it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals