• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Capacity with Manual Tran

sgrbear

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I am shopping for another Ranger after rolling mine and found a cherry 2006 fx4 L2 with a manual transmission. After reading Ford's towing guide I see that an automatic super cab 4x4 is rated to tow 5000 + lbs. with a combined gvw of 9500 lbs. but the manual tran is only rated to tow 3000lbs. What is the deal with that? Is it the clutch? The truck is also "screaming yellow", not sure about that either???

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Towing capacity, as far as the transmission, is based on the possible failure of components when the extra weight is added, autos win out.
Secondary, but still considered is the drivers needed skills, autos win again.

Most drivers who have used clutches, and prefer them, will argue the point, but legally it is a moot point.
The manufacturers listed towing capacity is the legal number.
And FYI even if you were to swap the manual and put in a stock Ford auto, that truck would not get the higher weight tow rating, "as manufactured" would be the legal limit.

The legal limit only comes up when you want to rent a trailer or if, heaven forbid, there is an accident, if fingers are being pointed then the weight might come up even it wasn't a factor in the accident.

Yellow is nice, but I prefer Red :)

Last edited:

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Gear ratios also affect the amount that can be towed as well, the higher the gear ratio (the lower the actual number) the more can be towed. I know that with my 96 2.3L 5 speed with 3.45's it says that towing is not recommended, at all.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This has been gone over quite a few times.

The consensus has been that it has become normal for manufacturers to downrate their manuals because not everyone knows how to properly drive one with a loaded trailer behind them, it takes a little different driving style to do it correctly than just bumming around in a manual shift vehicle. Improper driving with a manual can result in a toasted clutch, warped components, and other driveline damage.

An auto takes that issue out of the equation. You let off the brake and hit the gas and it goes by itself. A lot less to fail. Well, at least as long as you don't overheat the transmission.

A manual trans truck will handle the extra weight, period.

Trailer brakes are always a big help.

If you're going to haul heavy trailers often, think F-150 or bigger. Yes, the Ranger may handle it, but a larger, heavier truck will handle it better.

It is possible to upgrade your suspension, drivetrain and braking system then apply to the DOT to have your legal weight limit raised. It's a lot of effort and it has to be well documented, but it can be done.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think and this is my opinion. It has to deal with 2 things taking off and stopping. The automatic is more forgiving than a manual. The shock to the driveline components is more severe in a manual than an automatic when moving from a stop. If you look up recalls for 02 FX4's you'll see that they were cracking the top of the rear axle. This would also be true for stopping and downshifting. I'm not going to get into clutch problems. Of course it could be that they want to sell more autos, so you make it that the auto has a higher tow capacity and you sell more autos.

sgrbear

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies and information. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a red 06 fx4 with an auto. It has 55k but is cherry and has been officially adopted to its new home on the farm, days of easy living has ended for this ranger. Now I need to find someone to install a neutral tow kit so it can go on vacation with us.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
If I took an auto Ranger and swapped in a manual transmission would I "legally" still be able to tow with the higher rating? My Ranger doesn't really see that much weight behind it and when I do have anything heavy to tow I keep a 1 ton Chevy around just for that purpose but I figured i'd just throw the question out there.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I am considering using my 4x4 1999 Ranger with manual trans to tow a project vehicle home on a car dolly. The car weighs under 3200 lbs, which is what the owner's manual says is close to max. Car dolly will probably only add several hundred pounds more. Drive is local and flat on a road that will probably be under 55 most of the way. I will have to try and convince u-haul to let me tow with my configuration.

Real question is for manual transmissions, are there any tricks to towing other than taking it slow and easy?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I am considering using my 4x4 1999 Ranger with manual trans to tow a project vehicle home on a car dolly. The car weighs under 3200 lbs, which is what the owner's manual says is close to max. Car dolly will probably only add several hundred pounds more. Drive is local and flat on a road that will probably be under 55 most of the way. I will have to try and convince u-haul to let me tow with my configuration.

Real question is for manual transmissions, are there any tricks to towing other than taking it slow and easy?
Good luck getting u haul to do it.

But lets say max 4000lbs with the dolly....itll be no sweat.

As far as the trans, just avoid riding the clutch, get it up fast (but easy)and let the engine do the work.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea u-haul goes by the book for legal reasons. If you crash your truck because they rented you a trailer or dolley your vehicle isn't spec'd for and they could get sued. Doesn't matter if your truck physically can do it, its whether or not its legal according to the manufacturers specifications.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get rolling and release the clutch as soon as possible, avoid "feathering" the clutch as much as possible
Use the engine to slow down as much as possible, down shift, dolly doesn't have "trailer brakes" so truck brakes will heat up more when stopping with the extra 3,000+ LBS

Manuals are weaker than automatics
M5OD-R1 is rated at 330ft/lb torque
4R/5R44E is rated at 440ft/lb, thats what the 44 means
4R/5R55E is rated at 550ft/lb, thats what the 55 means

Tow weight rating never had/has anything to do with drivers ability or clutch, thats a myth
It all about the numbers, ability to GO, and ability to STOP, without breaking anything

Also the trailer hitch can limit towing weight

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve towed Bronco IIs behind my Rangers a number of times with no issues. Always told U-haul I was moving a Geo Metro. Legally I can pull the B2, but U-haul said no, too heavy.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I’ve towed Bronco IIs behind my Rangers a number of times with no issues. Always told U-haul I was moving a Geo Metro. Legally I can pull the B2, but U-haul said no, too heavy.
U haul said my 87 ranger on a dolly was to heavy for my 77 F250.

Sometimes i think they do that to entice you to rent their equipment

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The brakes on a dolley are pretty much useless. That also plays into it.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
All great advice. I didn't think of downsizing the car. I can use rent the tow dolly for a toyota yaris.:)

I pretty much drive all the time like was described above... except for the engine braking which is a good idea. I was thinking of also bringing along a non-contact thermometer to keep my eye on the diff. It whines a little and I don't want to overheat it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals