• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing damage?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes

So yesterday my truck died on the road (bad crankshaft position sensor) and I needed to get towed by AAA back to the house. The guy brought a regular tow truck (the non flatbed kind). Where my truck stopped made to to where he could not get it from the front. He was hesitant to pick it up from the back and tow backwards, said you shouldn't do that way on 4wds. But since it was going only around the block back to the house he said he would go slow and it would be ok.

Got the crankshaft position sensor replaced. When to drive the truck today and there is a shake when turning the wheel at low parking speeds. Thought I could live with it but got on the highway, seemed fine then started shaking really bad at around 65mph. Slowed down to move over and pull over but the shaking stopped so I kept going. Still shakes at parking speeds but hasnt at drive speeds again (yet)

So is this a coincidence or could something of happen from AAA towing me backwards?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
1. call them, tell them what happened
2. get under there and find out why it's doing it...

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any other ideas? Didn't notice anything broken or out of the ordinary. Want to have some info before I call AAA

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
have someone sit in it and wiggle the steering wheel while you lay under it and watch for movement and where the movement stops.. see if it all looks normal.

could be something as simple as a lose bolt.
could be any of the bushings.
Check your Radius Arm bushings.
have your alignment checked?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So drove it today and seem to be normal at parking speed and no shaking on the highway. Gonna keep an eye on it but maybe something was just out of wack. The only thing I did was put it in 4wd, drive it a block, then a some feet in reverse then back to 2wd. Will see.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One of my Auto Hubs will sometimes partially engage if I hit a curb or speed bump just right(wrong).
Doesn't happen often but does happen, I remember heaing a clicking as well, besides feeling the shimmy, backing up releases it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Towing it backwards (with the steering wheels on the ground) shook the front wheels around. Turning the wheels without the engine running on a Ford cavitates the steering fluid. Cavitated steering fluid on a rack and pinion steering causes the wheel to vibrate during low speed maneuvers until that air gets cycled out.

It's perfectly normal and nothing is damaged.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Towing it backwards (with the steering wheels on the ground) shook the front wheels around. Turning the wheels without the engine running on a Ford cavitates the steering fluid. Cavitated steering fluid on a rack and pinion steering causes the wheel to vibrate during low speed maneuvers until that air gets cycled out.

It's perfectly normal and nothing is damaged.
Awesome. Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, we get these at work a lot, espcially on rack replacements. I usually run two laps around the lot in a figure 8 and then 5 or 10 miles down the road in a straight line. That usuallu takes care of the shakes.

From your third post it sounds like you may have gotten it cycled out already though.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals