• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing with BII

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 BII 4X4 with a strong running 2.9 V6 & A4LD tranny. The tranny has been rebuilt & is out of a 1994 Explorer. I am running heavy duty shocks & Explorer springs front & rear with 215/75R/15 tires. The door sticker says the GVWR is 4650 pounds. I also have the D4 rear end which is geared at 3.73 with Trac Lok. I want to pull a bass boat that weighs somwhere around 1400 lbs. The boat trailer is tandem axle. Can I pull this without having to worry about tearing up the transmission? I will not be pulling it up any hills anywhere because were I live it is all flat land. The reason I am asking is because there are no scales around here to find out what the empty weight of my BII is now.

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldnt use overdrive.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you add an external auxiliary cooler to your transmission cooler lines when it was rebuilt and reinstalled? Did you use any kind of shift kit in it intended to clean up the shift slop? Did you purchase any type or heavier duty rebuild kit, or better quality torque convertor?

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
[panic voice] Don't do it!! Don't do it!![/panic voice]

If you have a quality trans cooler and your brakes are in good working order I don't see a problem with it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I pull my 17' boat around with my Ranger (same engine, trans, and gears) and it does very well. I never tow it in OD though, and I think my boat is probably lighter...and I have a single axle trailer too.

truckman

Reaction score
Shit man go for it as long as you have good brakes and u don't run OD you should be fine I towed an almost 1 ton dump trailer loaded down w/ a ton or so of scrap or more w/ my 2.8 short box almost weekend. Never had any problems slow going at a first and stopping was tricky some times but i also and a manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals