• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toyo Kogyo rebuild instructions?

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I picked up a 5 speed TK from the junkyard last weekend. It has a fair amount of wiggle in the input shaft bearing. I can get a new bearing easy enough (after doing a bit of digging) but I can't for the life of me find ANYTHING about how to take the damn thing apart. It looks like I should be able to just pull it out through the front of the case. But is it pressed onto the input shaft bearing? The input shaft isn't gonna fit out though the bore for the bearing. And it can't be pushed in because the main shaft is kinda in the way. And at that I have o idea how I would get it out past the counter shaft
There is also half of a synchronizer on the input shaft, and the other half is on the main shaft which I still can't figure how the hell that works but it must.

Does anybody know where I can find some instructions for dismantling this thing properly so I can replace this bearing? I think it would be alright for a little while with a new pilot bearing, but it's still going to move around some (mostly fore/aft during accel or decel) and will eventually wear out completely.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you find it let me know. I need to rebuild mine. I have another I am going to take apart for the hell of it. If I discover anything to help I will let you know.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Supposedly the Factory service manual has it in the transmission section, but I don't really want to order one and find out it doesn't. Although I suppose it could be useful for other things.
I've read a few old threads on the board here where people claim to have rebuilt them, one of them was still an active member so I sent them a PM but haven't heard back.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the factory service manual for the 85. It containes the rebuild information for fm146, tk5, 4 speed that was used in the diesels and the t/case.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the factory service manual for the 85. It containes the rebuild information for fm146, tk5, 4 speed that was used in the diesels and the t/case.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and order one then.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go ahead and order one then.
Ask him if he'll be fine with scanning the pages off and emailing them to you. I know I would do that if I had the book from the mid '80s rangers.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking of that but the transmission section is about the same size as a complete haynes manual. I might be able to get a reasonable copy with my camera but I'm not going to spend half a day trying to sort it out if there's no interest. If there is interest I'll be happy to do it, or at least give it a try.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I actually hadn't though of that, but if the section is as big as you say, it's going to be a real PITA to try and copy/scan upload and email all of that without some fancy equipment.

I'm going to toss the trans in the truck and see how it shifts before I go tackling the bearing issue. If it needs more than just a bearing or two then I'm just gonna do the whole thing. Especially since a rebuild kit with synchros is only $150 from Bronco Graveyard.

I've become pretty well versed in the fine art of transmission removal over the past few weeks. So getting the current one out, and this one in should take all of 3 hours with a break, which isn't time I'll mind spending to find out if this trans needs more work than I think.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to copy half a dozen pages and see how it works out. If it looks ok to me I could try emailing them to you and we'll go from there. let me know what you think.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, don't worry about it man. I found a guy who has an 85 FSM on ebay that's actually not too far from here. Gonna try to grab that one up.
Thanks for the offer though.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to give it a try over the weekend, I'm sure this is not the last time someone will need info from the fsm.

daniel.e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
need help rebuiling tranny

hello if this thread isnt dead which i assume it is i really need these instructions pulled it apart put new bearings in put back together but i think i may have put a washer in the wrong place 5 gear will not engage and the whole thing is very tight

Dally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hate to be nit picky but does the factory service manual give instructions on how to rebuild the transmission or just remove/install one?

I have the tk5 tranny in my 84 ranger and need to tear it apart to replace a gear and bearing (plus some gaskets and stuff).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals