• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

toyota land cruiser coils

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
has anyone ever used toyota land cruiser springs? ive done a little research and found that the old man emu springs the yota guys use on the land cruisers have a spring rate of about 300ppi and look to be similar shape to rbv coils with the windings tapering at the end http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0708or_1994_toyota_land_cruiser/photo_18.html
thats the best pic i could find of them, id really like to get my hands on a pair to see what the measurements as far as width and overall length are. i really hope im hitting on something here for the heavier rigs like extended cab 4.0s and explorers for flexier coils with a good spring rate.
let me know what you guys think

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If they're 300PPI, 5-5.5" dia, and about 20-22" free length, you may be onto something there. :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i hope so! as far as the steering issue you mentioned i did read the article on steering, everything you have on here is very informative i'm sure there is more than one member thats in debt to you haha. back to the steering though, do you think a sj extreme drop pitman arm would do it for manageable on road handling? the truck still needs to be a daily so ill probably run a sway bar with disconnects when i do get around to putting in some flexier coils. For right now (and cause im really antsy to get this pile of lift parts under the truck) ill probably just run sj 6" coils and see how it goes from there. If im just using a standard drop pitman do you think ill have excessive issues with bump steer and tire ware? oh, and as far as dimensions i think im gonna try and get to a u pull within a week or 2 to try and get my hands on a stock pair of landcruiser coils for comparison to the stock rangers i have laying around to see what would have to be done to the bottom coil mount/bushing and fitment into my duff coil buckets

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
For right now (and cause im really antsy to get this pile of lift parts under the truck) ill probably just run sj 6" coils and see how it goes from there. If im just using a standard drop pitman do you think ill have excessive issues with bump steer and tire ware?
Every person's situation is gonna be different... Someone who consistently drives alone and doesn't haul stuff might not run into too many issues with excessive tire wear using a mismatched dropped arm if the toe-in is set right, however if the vehicle's load changes much, the resulting changes in ride height are going to affect the front toe alignment, which will hugely impact tire wear (the camber alone changing has very little impact on tire wear, contrary to what some may think).

I suggest under no circumstances ever exceeding a 2" difference between the height of your lift, and the drop amount of your pitman arm (this also only if you're running stiff TTB lift coils). In other words, a standard dropped arm may be adequate enough on a 4" TTB lift, however a 6" lift will require you get the Skyjacker FA600 drop arm.

Anything softer than the TTB coils however, that 2" disparity is no longer tolerable, you'll need to have your steering linkage matched up pretty much spot-on with the axle/suspension if it's to work properly. I'd try to get away from the stock Y-linkage completely if running flexier coils (swapping to a K-link, crossover, etc.).

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
In my experience, a FA600 and Skyjacker 6" (in the upper holes) will work pretty good, with the linkages mostly flat. But like Junkie just mentioned, everyone's experience is different and requires a little experimentation.

This is what you want to end up with, flat tie rods if you can, or mostly flat tierods if you can't. Any kind of angle to them and you will have bumpsteer issues, and excessive wearing of tires and other components. Also handling will just suck in general.

I would suggest staying with the least amount of lift height you can tolerate, as at the higher end (4" +) TTB becomes very intolerant of the softer coils and you will run into all kinds of whacky geometry characteristics (scissoring, jacking ect).

Remember, STEERING, STEERING, STEERING. If you wanna DD, plan your final lift height in conjunction with a steering setup that is in phase with the axle beams. Any variation from that, and you won'y like the way it drives. Ask me how I know :icon_thumby:

You have four styles:

Stock, with a regular drop arm or a FA600 4" drop arm ($$) (Great option of you don't exceed 4" lift).

SuperRunner kit (modified) with a regular drop arm ($$$). All around good dollar for dollar mod (very modifiable and tune-able to your specific situation).

Stonecrusher kit (heims) ($$) Good (at low amounts of lift (up to 4" IMH experience).

Or single/double swing arm setup (mucho $$$$$). BEST. Next to no bumpsteer.

Good luck, and be free to ask us questions...this TTB thing really isn't too bad once you get familiar with it.

Warning though, the SAS bug will hit you when you are having a bad relationship with yout TTB, keep that in mind :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
this thing is turning into alot of $$ to get it lifted and not be afraid to run a new set of 33"s on.. did you run into any problems with the idler arm bracket on the supper runner steering? i see on the website it calls for superlift type beam bracket. i think ill run the generic type drop pitman for the lift till i can save up for the k link instead of going skyjackers drop pitman. im just itching to get the duff arms under this thing. anyways, im just trying to scratch some coin together to try and get a hold of a pair of stock landcruiser coils for comparison

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Superlift says you have to use their kit cuz they want you to buy from them probably. But the idler arm bracket works fine with other manufacturers, and specifically it worked for me and my Skyjacker stuff.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You'll have to drill an additional hole in the Superlift idler arm bracket to accommodate one of the bolts that holds the Skyjacker pivot bracket (also if you have a Class II kit, you'll also need to omit the little piece on the front of the crossmember). It's for the better too, that bracket really should have another bolt on it anyway.

Lifting a truck (and doing it properly) doesn't come cheap no matter how you do it, however you'll be a lot happier at the end when everything is done & working the way it's supposed to. :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
installing my duffjacker (sj beam brackets, duff arms and coil buckets with sj 6" coils) this weekend, my yota buddy has a pair of stock land cruiser coils he's letting me borrow to look at coil bucket fitment. have to be honest ive been looking at pics of the land cruiser coils and they look like their diameter may be to big for the duff coil buckets. if they fit the duff buckets though ill start looking around for some perches that might work. I saw another member use duff's early bronco lower coil retainers on his b2 and if the land cruiser coils might work ill look at trying something like that. Just worried about ride height adjustability for alignment if i were to use something like duff's lower coil retainers. Let me know what you guys think and hopefully ill have pics to post saturday night

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
installing my duffjacker (sj beam brackets, duff arms and coil buckets with sj 6" coils) this weekend, my yota buddy has a pair of stock land cruiser coils he's letting me borrow to look at coil bucket fitment. have to be honest ive been looking at pics of the land cruiser coils and they look like their diameter may be to big for the duff coil buckets. if they fit the duff buckets though ill start looking around for some perches that might work. I saw another member use duff's early bronco lower coil retainers on his b2 and if the land cruiser coils might work ill look at trying something like that. Just worried about ride height adjustability for alignment if i were to use something like duff's lower coil retainers. Let me know what you guys think and hopefully ill have pics to post saturday night
They'd still be "adjustable" if you allow placement of steel washers underneath the perches, depending on how you mod them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i did manage to get a hold of a landcruiser coil, didnt snap a pic of it in the bucket but it JUST fits. ill try to get a pic soon but hopefully these coils will be my option when i upgrade ujoints and full circle clips plus clearancing everything

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals