• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tragic truck love story

SleepyPumpkin

Reaction score
Hello, new here. Sorry about weird title (yes I'm a girl lol) My name is Selina. I'm an Ford ranger enthusiast. Not an owner...yet. I'm into the Generation one Rangers.

There's this one Ranger I've had my eye on since July 2019. I saw it first on Craigslist listed as $700. It's a 1985 XL V6 2.8L 4x4 manual. It didn't run and needed to be towed. I didn't have the money to purchase it, had no means to tow it, and couldn't contact the seller because they didn't leave and form of contact info (stupid). I knew that when I first saw this truck it was the one. I obsessively checked that post daily hoping to contact them but, of course somebody got to it first. Being sad and extremely disappointed I put my own Craigslist post up looking for any 1985 Rangers in my area.

One guy responded to me a few days later saying he had a 1985 Ranger for sale. It was a fixer upper with V6 automatic tranny that was broken. Almost not worth it but, other than the obvious broken automatic tranny it was in really good shape. So I planned on saving up my money for that one. Months later my Dad passes away and I can't afford it. Plus our house was in foreclosure (still is today we move out in Feb).

Things were rough. That automatic Ranger slipped through my fingers. Extremely disappointed again. I've been looking and scouring online market places for a Ranger for weeks and weeks but then I find out that same guy who contacted me first on the Craigslist post I made. He had that first Ranger I very desperately wanted. At first he was not planning on selling it. But now out of nowhere he's selling it for 2,000 dollars and I only have 1,000. I'm literally heart broken. That's my sad story. Thanks for reading it if you made it this far. Sorry it's so long. I can't tell anybody else this story because no one cares or would understand how I feel except maybe someone here. The End.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There are many of us here that feel the same way...

Just something about the first Gens for most here that just make us smile and wish we had one.

The right truck will come your way... just hang in there. Good things come to those that wait.

Welcome to TRS...

There is a bunch of information for you to read here and pictures to look at... it will keep the fire burning. Take some time and put together your wish list of things you want to do.

SleepyPumpkin

Reaction score
There are many of us here that feel the same way...

Just something about the first Gens for most here that just make us smile and wish we had one.

The right truck will come your way... just hang in there. Good things come to those that wait.

Welcome to TRS...

There is a bunch of information for you to read here and pictures to look at... it will keep the fire burning. Take some time and put together your wish list of things you want to do.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I can relate to somebody about it. It's a bit frustrating lol but I'll find one eventually. Thanks for the welcome I'll stick around and check this site out more.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad I can relate to somebody about it. It's a bit frustrating lol but I'll find one eventually. Thanks for the welcome I'll stick around and check this site out more.
Where are you located? I've seen better looking Rangers sell for less on FB Marketplace, usually needing a transmission or something though. There are a lot of cheap Rangers out there, good luck!

SleepyPumpkin

Reaction score
I live in Fredericksburg, VA. FB marketplace is where I've been looking mostly. There's plenty listed but rarely close enough to my area. I'll keep looking, thanks! ?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Keep the faith. Your ranger will find you.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Be patient, the right truck will come along when the time is right. Welcome to the forum.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The $700 one is now $2000, and you're the only one who wanted it? If you want it too bad, and he wants too much, best just walk away.
Like they've said, just keep an eye on the marketplace and on your trips around town, be patient, be wise, one will come along.
One thing to know is if others have looked and walked away, it's likely the best thing to do, unless something such as price or conditions changed drastically.

SleepyPumpkin

Reaction score
Righ
The $700 one is now $2000, and you're the only one who wanted it? If you want it too bad, and he wants too much, best just walk away.
Like they've said, just keep an eye on the marketplace and on your trips around town, be patient, be wise, one will come along.
One thing to know is if others have looked and walked away, it's likely the best thing to do, unless something such as price or conditions changed drastically.
Right thanks ?one is bound to be mine eventually. I just thought it was funny that it happened to show up many months after the first time I saw it. That's life though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A lot of us feel the way you do. Just be patient, keep saving your money. Good luck and welcome to TRS

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Right thanks ?one is bound to be mine eventually. I just thought it was funny that it happened to show up many months after the first time I saw it. That's life though.
Couple of good observations there Pumpkin.
One will come along, and maybe many moons after you'd thought it gotten away. Those are usually facts of life. Don't be discouraged(that's bad for your health ;) ), and don't be obsessed, because that will just make it harder to find and much more expensive(and much less enjoyable)

If it's to be a daily driver you really don't want a fixer-upper , that could be downright discouraging. If it has a major problem such as a transmission out or engine troubles, you may be months or even years from seeing it run and driving it, and even then you might find it had suspension or other issues as well.

Fixer uppers can be nice, they can also be expensive.

Best to wait until you find one that's nice enough to drive(or nice enough to afford fixing if you already have a DD), from someone who's nice enough not to want an arm and leg for it

and BTW, welcome to TRS :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals