• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tranny issues

Joe Dirte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site. I just picked up a 1999 Ranger XLT with about 150K. It has the 4.0, auto, four door, 4x4 with the switch on dash. There were a few minor issues. I did notice during the test drive that I did not feel a passing gear when I stomped on the go pedal. It also had a slight bump/jerk when I start off in Drive. Occasionally, I would feel that same bump/jerk as I rolled to a stop. The engine runs really smooth.
Recently I started seeing the O/D light flashing as I got up to 70 mph. The other thing now is I need to sit for a few minutes after I start the cold engine before I can take off. If I don't, it goes nowhere if I put in in gear. Engine just revs. Sometimes it will jerk into gear if I start out too early.
I have not changed out the tranny filter. The fluid looks okay with a slight smell of metal.
I plan on changing out the filter and fluid. While I'm in there, I will change out the valve body gaskets as well. I've read that can be an issue if it's blown out.
Anything else I should look at?

longdx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 16v
Transmission
Automatic
It could also be the vehicle speed sensor that is giving you the OD blinking light. This is located on the top of differential and very easy to replace.

Also the bump/jerk is probably coming from the slip joint (the two parts of the drive shaft that meet together)that may need to be regreased. The proper way to do this is to remove the driveshaft and re grease it. However there are alternate ways of doing it without removing the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals