• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny ticking?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I have a 99 Mazda B2500, manual, 2WD. Has been driving just fine but within the past couple days a very noticeable ticking sound has sprung up. It sounds like the lifters ticking; however, the sound only occurs while driving. If I push the clutch in the noise goes away, so it has me thinking tranny/clutch area. It also doesn't make the sound in neutral. I was thinking exhaust leak; however, shouldn't it make the sound all the time (in neutral, with/without clutch being pressed in, etc)? The tranny also has the proper amount of fluid.

Thanks for the help,

Shane

Last edited:

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic
My 2005 2.3L just started making this same noise today after hitting a pothole this morning and it only does it when I am on the gas and around or above 3000rpms. Any help with discovering what this is would be awesome.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
99 Yours sounds like a throwout bearing on the fritz

Kd your gonna have to provide more info on yours. After you hit the pothole did you jar something loose, or was the noise already there before you hit the hole and you are just now noticing it.

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic
I looked under it and tried moving things but nothing moved and it didn't have this noise until after i hit the pot hole. It's coming from the transmission tunnel. I thought it was lifters so i parked and gave it some gas and no noise. Put it back in drive and got on it and there the noise was again after i went above 3000 rpms.

2005 Ranger XLT
2.3l Duratec
131,878 miles
full of oil and transmission fluid

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have a 5 speed or an automatic?

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic

skjj57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Throw out bearing is ready to go south. I let mine go too long and it went out at a busy intersection, had to tow home.

RangerKing1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Engine Size
6.5 diesel
Transmission
Manual
Most cases the trans will whine, if you ever have the problem of it whining, NO WORRY. That shouldnt hurt it much. I have been driving my 1990 4cyl 5spd 2wd long bed ranger around for 4yrs with the transmission whining when you drive it. However the ticking, sound like a throw out bearing or pilot bearing.

However my 88 ext cab ranger, has a mazda transmission in it, and it ticks when you let clutch out and is stuck in 4th gear. Im not sure why it is hung in gear tho. I will watch this thread and maybe in the mist of people helping you on your ticking problem, it may help me with mine ticking and gettin hung in 4th gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals