• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Transmission Issue P0715 and checked TSS

RangertoWork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
2008 4c 2.3L automatic.

Getting P0715 code. checked the TSS sensor at the transmission plug and got 112ohm, so the sensor seems to be ok.

I want to check cabling at PCM, but I can't seem to find how the pins are numbered? is it 1 at the top left and just keep counting? or is in when your facing the PCM module?

Hopefully someone has a diagram of the connector that shows what pins are what number.

I have already looked at this diagram, but it's a little lacking in labeling. Are the conductor numbers on the left and right of the sheet the pins on the PCM module? Also, this is for the 4.0L, so i don't know if it's the same for the 2.3L
file:///D:/DOWNLOADS/1997%204.0%20engine%204-1.pdf

Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The newer PCMs have 3 connectors, C175B, C175E and C175T
Letters stand for Body, Engine and Transmission

Diagram here: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2c/ec/b3/2cecb3c6b2d7fb0c294b3bf82a0380ad.jpg

Ford PCMs are the same across most models each year just different firmware and software for engine size and transmission model

The TSS sensor is a VR sensor so generates its own AC Voltage Sine Wave signal
And only the + half of this signal is used, so the wire on pin 3 of the 16 pin connector on transmission should read as a Ground
Pin 2 is the wire that goes to the PCM with the signal

5R55E wires.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

RangertoWork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the clear info, i couldn't find those wireing diargrams, but that's great.

It must be a failing TSS sensor. I tested it five days ago, and it was in spec, but was throwing the error. Then i checked it a two days latter, and it was a 140+ohms. Checked it two days after that, just wanted to be sure before i pull the trigger on $1K of repairs and was getting nothing on pin2-3.

I had no problem with continuity between 16pin at transmission and PCM, so I'm confident it's not that.

I checked it with three different multi meters, just to test the tester.

Will try to report back if the repair is successful.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is 2 wire connector for TSS inside the pan, long shot but its there

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals