• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission noise help

Soda-Bread

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I’ve got a problem and I was hoping for some guidance. I have a 1995 ranger with the 4.0 engine and a 4r55e automatic transmission. I noticed about a month ago that when accelerating from stop lights, I’d sometimes hear what sounded like a creak, which I assumed was a suspension issue of some kind. However more recently, it’s gotten worse and will now occasionally sustain the noise for several seconds. It will also make the growling noise when accelerating hard while in motion, sometimes. I thought that it might be the driveshaft u joints, so I did an experiment and put the car in drive and held the brake while I gave it some gas, and the noise appeared, so I think I can rule out the driveshaft. It only makes the noise in drive, manual 1st and manual 2nd, not in park, neutral or reverse, so I think I can rule out both the engine and the torque converter. So I believe it to be a transmission issue. The thing is it only happens when the transmission is under torque. If I gently roll away from a stoplight or have my foot on the brake idling, it’s fine. The noise doesn’t happen until I give it some gas. My understanding is that if the clutches were worn out it would be present when idling and go away when you give it gas, and that slipping transmissions sound more like a sandpapery whirring than a growl. I can’t find anything online describing what I’m experiencing. So basically I’m hoping someone here might have experienced a similar issue and can give me some guidance on how to go about troubleshooting this.

a link to a recording I made is here. This was taken in my driveway with thecar in gear, foot on the brake.

Thanks!

I will add that I’m working on tracking down an engine lean code, my fuel trims are consistently way too high, but I don’t think it’s related. But maybe worth throwing out there. I found a manual that talked about the TPS sensor and MAF sensors having an effect on transmission operation.

Edit the next day, I just did a pressure test. Idle pressures seem ok, but when doing the WOT test in drive they would jump up and then immediately drop to 120 PSI. Spec is 207 to 241. For giggles I did a WOT pressure test in reverse, and the pressure was good although I was not able to reach a stall speed, RPMs went way high before I aborted the test. According to my manual (link below) a low pressure in all forward gears indicates a worn forward clutch, “main control,” or O/D servo. Will be examining the Transmission fluid and dropping the pan next.

Pan was clean, fluid a little dark.

manual link:https://atoc.ru/uploads/manual/5fb798885b58e.pdf

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello Soda and welcome to TRS,
You won;t find a lot of people out tonight who have the experience you will need on that, but I am certain tomorrow you will get someone able to help you along with it,
My last experience with a 4R found me going down a highway spewing a smoke screen that resembled a WW2 PT boat :D

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Couple days before my transmission went out. when I would leave a stop as I accelerated it would have a whine. Kinda like the sound of a turbo. Trans brake didn’t seam to always work during this either. Then while it shifted to final gear. A LOUD THUD. THEN NO GEARS AT ALL. NOW WHEN IN ANY GEAR IT JUST WHINES A LITTLE. so… find it and fix it. They are expensive to replace ..Still don’t know what happened to mine

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, if you've got a wrecking yard nearby, or can find one on fakebook markets or something grab it,
Well, that's easy for me to say, I'm 12 miles from the nearest town and nobody can see my backyard anyway, but the ones I let go hunting for free, and an occasional steak dinner, I mean like spares
The spare tire was a great idea, maybe a necessity, as is anything else you can pack in the closet

Soda-Bread

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Man, if you've got a wrecking yard nearby, or can find one on fakebook markets or something grab it,
Well, that's easy for me to say, I'm 12 miles from the nearest town and nobody can see my backyard anyway, but the ones I let go hunting for free, and an occasional steak dinner, I mean like spares
The spare tire was a great idea, maybe a necessity, as is anything else you can pack in the closet
Yea, this is actually a junkyard tranny. Problem is the 4r55e’s were an intermediate transmission that they only used in 95 and 96, and only with the 4.0 engines. The original transmission went out about a year and a half ago and I had to drive 5 hours to find a junkyard one. But as luck would have it I just saw someone post a pickup with the exact transmission on marketplace for 500 bucks. Maybe I’d better pounce on that.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck with that man, I don't even know how to tell how to check one out
That would likely be a decent place to start
I think you pull the stick and smell of the oil on it to see if it smells burned

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
man 500 bucks probly wouldn't buy any major part on it

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
If the trans computer from 98-2001 can be put on yours. You could use 95-2011. I do believe

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you find a replacement. It might be a good idea to rebuild the other one and store it as a spare since they are hard to find. It might be a good learning opportunity for you, especially if you can have someone who knows how to rebuild transmissions help you while doing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals