• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission spins while towing with transfer case in neutral

Islandboy1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
We flat tow (on all 4 wheels) a 2019 Ranger 4x4 and recently experienced a transmission failure. It was in tow mode and transmission was in neutral as required by the owners manual. It is being worked on at the Ford service department, but they said something to me that does not make sense. They said that the transmission still gets spun while the transfer case is in neutral. I am hoping someone here can explain That statement. My experience is with mechanical shift transfer cases where neutral means both drive shafts are disconnected from the transmission. Thanks in advance.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ask them what causes the transmission to spin in that scenario. I’m no expert on that transmission/transfer case combination. But I agree that neutral for the t-case should disconnect both output shafts from the input. That is normally what neutral means.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

If Transfer case is in Neutral then both drive shafts will be disconnected from transmission output shaft

But there is no Neutral selection on the transfer case controller, picture here: https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/2019-ford-ranger-4wd-selector-knob-carbuzz-646598-300x200.jpg

2WD, 4high and 4low, no Neutral

Transmission in Neutral is not the same as transfer case in neutral, transmission WILL still spin if rear wheels do

There was software that could be added to older Rangers so Neutral could be added as a selection for transfer case, because there IS a Neutral in the transfer case
But not sure its available for 2019-2021 Rangers

You can remove shift motor from transfer case and manually select Neutral

EDIT:
Found it, yes you can flat tow the newer 4x4 Rangers but there is a selection/method to enable flat towing
So they did add the transfer case Neutral switch

Check out pages 211 and 212 in 2019 owners manual
Its not an overly complicated procedure, but there is a step by step method to get transfer case to shift to Neutral and you can HEAR it shift
And then display will confirm "Neutral Tow Enabled"

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Welcome to the forum

If Transfer case is in Neutral then both drive shafts will be disconnected from transmission output shaft

But there is no Neutral selection on the transfer case controller, picture here: https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/2019-ford-ranger-4wd-selector-knob-carbuzz-646598-300x200.jpg

Transmission in Neutral is not the same as transfer case in neutral, transmission WILL still spin if rear wheels do

There was software that could be added to older Rangers so Neutral could be added as a selection for transfer case, because there IS a Neutral in the transfer case

There is a way to put the transfer case in neutral on the 2019+ trucks, its one of those goofy procedures where you hit the brake pedal and press the start button 3 times while reciting the alphabet backwards. If you did it right it will display "neutral tow" or something on the dash.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I wonder what Tow Mode (TM) does to the t-case. If Islandboy did the procedure right and the transmission failed, then something is wrong with the truck and it will happen again.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We flat tow (on all 4 wheels) a 2019 Ranger 4x4 and recently experienced a transmission failure. It was in tow mode and transmission was in neutral as required by the owners manual. It is being worked on at the Ford service department, but they said something to me that does not make sense. They said that the transmission still gets spun while the transfer case is in neutral. I am hoping someone here can explain That statement. My experience is with mechanical shift transfer cases where neutral means both drive shafts are disconnected from the transmission. Thanks in advance.
Was it in "tow mode" or "neutral tow"? They are very very different things...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Was it in "tow mode" or "neutral tow"? They are very very different things...
Now this is getting confusing. Sounds like they should have just stuck a manual t-case in it. It shouldn’t be that complicated to drive or tow a Ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I edited my previous post

In 2019 manual pages 211 and 212 tell how to enable flat towing

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Tow mode is for towing stuff with the ranger, neutral tow is for when something is towing the ranger. :dunno:

Im fairly sure the tow mode button doesn't actually do anything to the transfer case it just does what every other ford tow button does and turns off overdrive. The transfer case switch was probably just a convenient spot to put it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
This is why I always read the owners manual when I get a new vehicle, even after 47 years in the car business. I solved hundreds of customer concerns by reading their manual to them.

Islandboy1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forum

EDIT:
Found it, yes you can flat tow the newer 4x4 Rangers but there is a selection/method to enable flat towing
So they did add the transfer case Neutral switch

Check out pages 211 and 212 in 2019 owners manual
Its not an overly complicated procedure, but there is a step by step method to get transfer case to shift to Neutral and you can HEAR it shift
And then display will confirm "Neutral Tow Enabled"
Yes, we are very much aware of the proper procedure to get the transfer case in neutral. We have the instructions laminated and in the console and we use it every time. I cannot say I have heard it, but it does give the message....and did this time as well. I just do not understand their statement about the transmission still spinning when the transfer case is in neutral. Thanks.

Islandboy1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is why I always read the owners manual when I get a new vehicle, even after 47 years in the car business. I solved hundreds of customer concerns by reading their manual to them.
With all due respect, I do not think you read what I wrote. We follow the manual every time. We have the instructions laminated and in the console for easy reference. It was in neutral (tranny and transfer case, even after we towed it. That part is not the question.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
With all due respect, I do not think you read what I wrote. We follow the manual every time. We have the instructions laminated and in the console for easy reference. It was in neutral (tranny and transfer case, even after we towed it. That part is not the question.
Is the dealer going to test it for you? I misunderstood your post apparently. Tow mode and neutral tow are 2 different things.

Islandboy1220

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
There is a way to put the transfer case in neutral on the 2019+ trucks, its one of those goofy procedures where you hit the brake pedal and press the start button 3 times while reciting the alphabet backwards. If you did it right it will display "neutral tow" or something on the dash.
Yep, we know that and did that and got the correct responses, both before and after we towed. That is not the question.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The service tech was mistaken or unfamiliar with the system

The rear drive shaft does spin the transfer case output shaft AND pump to keep it lubed and cool, but input shaft(transmission connection) would not be turning when transfer case is in Neutral
The front drive shaft would also be spinning and the chain drive, but it would also be lubed by the pump

If engine, and radio, is off, you can hear transfer case shift

It's possible there was/is a transfer case problem, and electric shift motor did move to Neutral position, the sensors for that are IN the shift motor NOT in the transfer case, so transfer case was still connected to transmission.
So you saw the confirmation on the display but mechanically it was still engaged to transmission

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals