• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trying to find source of noise?

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have a 97 Ranger 4x4 with 4.0L OHV. I just pulled old motor and bought a used engine that looks almost brand new. Paint on block and everything looks pristine. Guy I bought it from said was pulled from a 97 Explorer with 90,000 miles but looked to him as if it were a replacment engine due to the cleanliness of the engine. Anyways, I finally got everything installed in my truck and now I have a clanking/knocking sound from the engine bay. Kinda sounds like a diesel at times, but almost sounds like something hitting something inside either bell housing or oil pan?? The motor was originally fitted for auto trans, and I bought and installed brand new flywheel, pressure plate, and LUK clutch set. Has brand new LUK slave as well. I used blue locktite on pressure plate bolts and torqued to spec. Truck runs great and has lots of power. Oil pressure is great as well. All the accessories on the front of engine are new as well....new power steering pump, new alternator, new a/c compressor, new idler pulley, and new tensioner. The only thing I did notice is that the harmonic balancer has a little damaged place on the edge/face of pulley. The pulley doesn't wobble or anything, but wondered if that might have something to do with noise? I thought about replacing with the one off my old engine, but wasn't sure if I could reuse damper bolt or not in center? Anyone have any ideas....

Thanks,
Dan

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I replaced the harmonic balancer with a new one and that solved a majority of the noise. I still have upper end ticking, but plan on getting Delta Cam F40 kit to hopefully fix that without having to tear down into lifters on my replacement engine.

Thanks,
Dan

flatblack

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ??
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You didn't check the rods and mains before you installed it did you?.
The motor I got for my 93 was out of a 97 explorer. I just flopped that sucker over and plastiguaged all the rods and mains for peace of mind and replaced the oil pump. $94 for the oil pump, gaskets and plastiguage................Peace of mind PRICELESS.
BTW the top end rattle is just normal, probably should have pulled the valve covers and inspected those too.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yea top end tick is pretty normal. could be a lifter.

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I didn't really do a hole lot to new motor since I have already spent i nupwards of 6 grand on this P.O.S. since I have bought it a little over a year ago. Truck is basically brand new from tail to nose mechanically. Wife cringes any time I have to spend a dime on anything else, and I didn't pull any pans due to fact of spending more money on new seals that to her didn't need replaced....so that's the main reason for not digging into it. My old motor that has 220,000 on it didn't have any noises whatsoever, but has major leaking issues and rust issues....so that's why I decided to do a replacement. Plus just trying to get my 4x4 done and ready before the snow flies and was running out of time to get it done. In hind sight, yes I should have looked into it a little deeper, but for the most part I think it's fine now with exception of top tick which I can live with until later on.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals