• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo/propane/2.8-2.9?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ok so I wanted to go with boost and was thinking about going from the 2.9 to the turbo 2.3 in my wheelin rig. After finding out all the detail on that I think I might go a different way.

Draw through propane.

Now the questions.

What distributor can I use to get mechanical or vacuum advance on the 2.9? Would pull the injectors TIG weld the holes shut and run with no electrical controls.

Also I have a complet turbo setup from a 2.3. Do you think this will be to small for the 2.9 or 2.8 if the goal is the have a fast spooling turbo with the respective v6 maxing at 5000 RPM?

Thoughts and suggestions? Have done some searching and propane and forced induction seem like they are damn well paired with each other.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
just leave it dual fuel, open the injector power wires when you switch your lockoff on and fuel pump off, put a switch or relay or something on the O2 sensor wire or something else used for closed loop and force it into open loop, that'll leave the spark control working, the check engine light will most likely be on since it won't be in control of the fueling...

but the 2.8's are more stout, less likely to crack the heads, could probably handle more, the turbo from a 2.3 would work fine, like you said quicker spool up

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo LPG blow-through
Transmission
Manual
Im running a blow-threw 2.3 turbo on propane. Still working out the kinks. I.e. I have locked timing, i need an msd yet, no wideband so im havng a hard time dialing it in. I need a boost controler yet. The engine and turbo are factory and im blowing atleast 15 psi into it( I need another boost gauge mine only goes to 15) but once it hits 8 psi its hold on, it pegs the boost gauge in a hurry then.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
The plan is to try and keep the 2.9 as mine has world heads that are ported as well as ported intakes and manifolds.

With the 2.9 and 5-10 psi of boost an IMPCO 300 mixer is ideal. And just so happens I found a local complete brand new 300 conversation kit for $300. I major deal.

So now I have almost all the major components needed for my draw through turbo propane wheelin motor. Propane conversion of the correct CFM, propane tanks, turbo, waste-gate, and blow-off. But I still need timing advance for the 2.9.

If I where to move the MAP sensor vacuum tube upstream of the turbo, terminate fuel injector power leads and O2 sensor leads from the main harness, and leave all other sensors in tack, would the computer controlled advance still work?

I know the working range of the MAP is 15-20 in Mercury to 0, would the upstream vacuum of the turbo be considerably greater then this? I would think that it would be out of the MAP sensors working limits.

The speed density system calculates air density from the MAP and Intake Air Temp sensor and speed from RPM to look up fuel injector pulse to control fuel management. It uses all O2 to attain 14.7 to 1 air fuel ratio. And uses the MAP sensor and RPM to look up timing advance in its tables. If I where to eliminate the IAC, Inlet air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor and just retain the MAP and necessary wiring to power the computer, dizzy and MAP would the timing advance continue to function?

In either case the computer would go into limp-mode or open loop making the fuel parameter be fixed which I could care less about as none of the stock fuel hardware will be used. Will the timing also to fixed values from the computers tables without input from the MAP and RPM?

Basically I would just like a few more to chime in and verify this will work before I cut my wiring harness to shit.
open the injector power wires when you switch your lockoff on and fuel pump off, put a switch or relay or something on the O2 sensor wire or something else used for closed loop and force it into open loop, that'll leave the spark control working, the check engine light will most likely be on since it won't be in control of the fueling...
And if none of the above can be done how can I get either mechanical of vacuum advance on the 2.9?

I found a few treads talking about 2.8 and 2.9 dizzys. But the main problem is the rotation of the camshaft of the two motors is opposite of each other. Some discussion of the gear being either swapped of flipped was noted to resolve the problem but there is no definitive proof this works. Anyone have insight?

And lastly anyone know if its possible without major bullshit to swap 2.8 dizzy guts to a 2.9 dizzy?

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Just found this

Take a 2.8 distributor and take it apart. You have to remove the anchorplate from the distributor axle.
Take the 2.9 distributor apart. And make the axle the same as from the 2.8 on a milling machine.
Weld the anchorplate on the 2.9 axle and put everything in the 2.8 housing.
Now you can use your 2.8 ignition and you camgear and oilpump works.
This sound feasible?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ok so I have done a ton of searching on the web and have found most of the info I needed. So here is the plan.

Air filter – Propane mixer – Turbo – blow off valve, routed back to air filter – stock 2.9 throttle body.

Run with stock ignition through the ECM. And if that won’t work build a custom Dura Spark dizzy.

So what do I do with my vacuum lines for my brake booster, MAP, and heater controls. With the throttle body behind the turbo this is a blow through setup with the fuel being added in front of the turbo.

So what do I do with the vac lines?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, for the MAP, you splice in a T fitting and a vacuum check valve, when getting into boost it will dump the pressure and not let the MAP see it. The factory check valve on the booster will be fine. For the PCV system on my Dakota I'm using a brake booster check valve inline so I don't pressurize the crankcase. Heater controls should already have a check valve too.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Thanks Hahns.

Well just ordered some mandrel bent pipe, vacuum/boost gauge, and exhaust heat wrap. Aside from that I started mocking up the engine compartment for the turbo. Had to rework the main harness to relocate the power distribution block and relays, as well as the starter relay and my extra positive leads. Came out really nice.

So in a few weeks When the exhaust pipe comes in I can get to work as I have all the rest of the parts, or can get the rest locally.

Will start a build thread when I really get to work. I know many say they want to turbo a 2.9, but this IS going to happen. And on PROPANE.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Been some time, with some progress.

Got most of all the major fab work done for the plumbing and have about 95% of the part to do this.

Last fall I got the exhaust work done, oil lines and cooler and brackets and what not and intake plumbing done. Then we had our fall bog and took it all off to run, as I wouldn't be able to get it done in time for the weekend. Since then I haven't really touched any of this project, I hit a wall for ignition. Couldn't come up with a way to make the 2.8 duraspark dizzy 2.9 friends.

Well I got a duraspark ignition system from 300 I6, and after some looking at the parts I have a plan. Its going to take some time on the lathe, but after im done I should have a 2.9 shaft and lower dizzy housing with the 300 upper housing and dizzy guts. Once I have this done its go time on this project. I want this done by the end of summer, ALL my buddys are asking when it will be done.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Is it done yet?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Nope..............

Its back on the back burner. Busy again with other things and the rig has been needing some other maintinace. Ball joints, drive shaft u joints, rear axle seals, and some other stuff. And just tonight while I was dicking with her I found the rear pinion loose. Well the rear axle is out of it on jack stands waiting for me to set up the rear gears again. The inner pinion bearing spun and fawked the shims and through the backlash and contact WAY OFF. Found it in time so there is no damage to the gears.

I just need to get some more time to get the dizzy made.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo LPG blow-through
Transmission
Manual
Why not just use a msd box? Get a 6AL Programmable or a 6BTM. Then just set the dizzy in and program the MSD. Also why not go blow-threw? Youll have better throttle response and wouldnt have to worry about routing the blow-off back into the intake, also it could be intercooled and not worry about it being "full" of fuel. Just run the balance tube to the vaporiser like normal to compansate for boost.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Why not just use a msd box?
Money, the dizzy I will make and the dura spark I got will total about 10 bucks.

Also why not go blow-threw? Youll have better throttle response and wouldnt have to worry about routing the blow-off back into the intake, also it could be intercooled and not worry about it being "full" of fuel. Just run the balance tube to the vaporiser like normal to compansate for boost.
Again money, and simplicity. The setup I'm going to run has been proven to work well with the toyota and zuki guys. Also I don't have a hat for my mixer and don't have room for an intercooler.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals