• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unable to find RCM via Forscan, tracing airbag codes.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Howdy folks!

I've been working on my truck to restore airbag functionality after purchasing it knowing it was in an airbag deployed accident previously.

03 Mazda B3000, STD Cab, Auto, 3.0 V6.

After replacing the RCM (restraint control module), passenger and driver's airbags, I've been going through the codes flashed by the now working dash light to figure out what needs to be addressed next, however the entire time I've been unable to pull codes from the RCM via Forscan. I should not that the RCM was not appearing previously either. I've cleared 3 codes from the airbag light, one being a connection issue with the RCM, which has now been resolved so I know the car is able to at least find the module internally, and I'm onto code 4-6, the driver (and probably also passenger) seat belt pre-tensioner.

My main issue is I'm kind of getting sick of fixing them one at a time, with various trips to find parts, bulbs, and junkyard pulls and would REALLY love to be able to see most/all the codes at once if possible. And at the end of the list of codes, I'd like to run the RCM test to get an idea if the system is even working at all instead of doing real world testing (crashing it).

Alas, Forscan can't detect the RCM, I've tried clearing codes from the RCM, and running the tests but it's a non-starter since it can't be found.

When I've got time hopefully this evening I will post some pictures of what ForScan is displaying for reference, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
This may be a stupid question but did you get the subscription? There are things you can see and change only with a subscription.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If I remember correctly... it could also be your cheap adaptor. Those things are not all created equal...

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This may be a stupid question but did you get the subscription? There are things you can see and change only with a subscription.
I did the free extended license activation, from what I've seen it should be able to find the RCM without a paid subscription.

If I remember correctly... it could also be your cheap adaptor. Those things are not all created equal...
I made sure to buy a recommended one that was specifically for ForScan, it's the Vgate VLinker TP, which I know others have used successfully with ForScan.

When it comes to RCM module issues specifically, I don't know if others have used the adaptor work on RCM issues.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I should note as well that I've made sure the related fuse, (number 26) is in good shape and working.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I did the free extended license activation, from what I've seen it should be able to find the RCM without a paid subscription.

I made sure to buy a recommended one that was specifically for ForScan, it's the Vgate VLinker TP, which I know others have used successfully with ForScan.

When it comes to RCM module issues specifically, I don't know if others have used the adaptor work on RCM issues.
We'll need to wait for someone who has more experience with the software then. @lil_Blue_Ford might be able to help. I'm not sure who else has used it more but they are on here.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
When I was looking... this is the unit that was recommended. I don't know if the adaptor is your problem or not... but I believe it could be. Try it on a different ford and see if it connects.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://a.co/d/iLpfsGr

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals