• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Under seat question?

MoToMaStR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4 140ci
Transmission
Manual
So i was messing with my welder the other day nd i had an epiphany however, i dont know enough about audio and sub to determine if its a good idea or not...? I was dreaming the idea of placing full sized 12" subs and boxes firing upwards, under my seats by increasing the space between the seat and floor. So i was planning on cutting out a 15"x15" hole out from under the driver and passenger seat, then welding a 5 sided box about 5 or 6" deep to fit into the holes under the seats. Im wondering if after i weld those suckers up and drop the boxes in,....
Will it just sound like an empty soda vibrating?
should I use thicker steel for the boxes? Like 1/8" plate??
Will the sound be directed out of the vehicle too much to be useful?
Has anybody ever tried or thought of doing a project like this?

Im just looking for any input, you guys know more about rangers then some dumb asses at an audio place hopping to sell me a 1800 dollar custom fiberglass enclosure. Thanks for the help dudes.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
this has been brought up a few times. Iv never seen some one go thur with it.

the sound will stay inside the truck, but willbe some what muffled by the seat. but not thatttttt much. if you compare jaming it behind a bench seat.

as far as your box. on average youll need 1CF of air at min. some more some less. however your 15x15 hole gets smaller quickly and thats if you can fit a hole that big between your seat rails. and im not getting into body reinforcement.

for convo sake your 15x15 hole......i would mat it to stop your truck from shaking so there is about 1/16 all around. and 3/4 inch mdf all around. so your your down to 13.25'' give or take so for round numbers 13.25x13.25x6. gives you .36CF. useing .5 MDF gives you .45 CF

now lets say it was 6'' down 2'' up for 8 inches you would be at .6CF

now if it were me and i was trying to do this. i would make the bottom box of .5MDF and then stack a few .75MDF up and make the seat fixed or jack the fram rails.

so your box would look like a "t" the .75MDF cross plates would take the weight, with it sitting on the floor. this way inside the steel box cound be as thin as poss.

if you fixed the seat/ jacked the rails ...... lets say you wound have 8''

minus 2 for clearence off the seat and another 2'' for sub face and the.75of mounting. it wound give you 4'' from the back of the MDF to the floor. plus 5.5'' from the 6'' box you put in. 14x14x9.5 using .5 MDF will give you .83CF

that close enuff to stuff with poly.

to help you your 15x15 wiht .5MDf and matting your inside would be closer to 14.25x14.25x9.5 and thats .86CF

so its do able alot of fab work but doable

still gonna try?????

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i think its doable. just line your 15'x15' metal box with a couple layers or deadening. hell, even some truck bed liner would work great. before you get to far into this, take a look under your floor boards to see if its possible.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ive seen something similar done in an audi a4, I'm personally not the largest fan of cutting holes in my cab but that's just me. If you do it though keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out.

tonykirkus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i have never seen anything like that done and i work at a stereo shop. if u go that far you might as well port the bed it u want some serious sound. but thats a new one to me.. if you are anywhere near jacksonville florida, i am a rockford fosgate dealer and i can get anything you want.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ive seen something similar done in an audi a4, I'm personally not the largest fan of cutting holes in my cab but that's just me. If you do it though keep us posted, I'd like to see how it turns out.
x2

if u go that far you might as well port the bed
blow thur boxes are a cop out

i like this its gonna take creativity to get this done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals