• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upper Ball Joint Leaking

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Good evening all. I know this seems obvious but it’s just odd because the ball joints are new. I am working on my truck and while I have the wheels off I noticed that my upper control arms and spindles were soaked in red grease. I cleaned them up and started work on what I was doing, but now that I’m done there is still grease streaming out of the upper ball joint. Do I need to replace?

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Cheap junk grease. I just had this happen to some Lucas brand red grease I was using at work. I just use it about once a year, so it had been sitting in the gun for at least 3 years. I always had to put a rag around the gun, this red oil would always leak out. I went to use it the other day, and it would not pump. Pull the grease tube out, it was full of a dull red waxy substance. It had separated out so bad, it was too thick to be pumped through the gun.

Get a new tube of grease and pump it in and push all that stuff in there now out. It should fix it.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that's an interesting upper control arm. can you tell us more about it?

if the ball joint is leaking out the top I would suspect it was damaged during installation.

Last edited:

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
that's an interesting upper control arm. can you tell us more about it?

if the ball joint is leaking out the top I would suspect it was damaged during installation.
The upper control arm is made by DJM suspension for 2WD lowered Rangers to correct alignment when lowered. Out of the 12 grease fittings I had to tap, only the two on the upper ball joints on both sides are leaking.

1698930108807.png

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
In the picture it looks like oil to me. Is that correct? If it is, the oil is coming out of the grease. It may be some grease they used at the factory. If that is not oil but grease, the little ball on the grease fitting may not be sealing. Just replace the grease fitting, you can get them at Tractor Supply or a hardware store. You should be able to get them at the autoparts stores,, but those places are getting more more sketchy as to what they carry. Most modern vehicles do not have grease fittings anymore.

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
In the picture it looks like oil to me. Is that correct? If it is, the oil is coming out of the grease. It may be some grease they used at the factory. If that is not oil but grease, the little ball on the grease fitting may not be sealing. Just replace the grease fitting, you can get them at Tractor Supply or a hardware store. You should be able to get them at the autoparts stores,, but those places are getting more more sketchy as to what they carry. Most modern vehicles do not have grease fittings anymore.

Thanks. The grease in the joint now is from me. I have some extra fittings I could just try swapping and putting more grease in

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
In the picture it looks like oil to me. Is that correct?
Grease is oil suspended in a waxy substrate. When it sits for a long time, especially in hot temperatures, it separates. Not necessarily a function of low quality vs high quality. They all do it. Different greases use different types of oil and different substrates. That is a function of the application it is designed for high speed, low load greased will tend to be softer and runnier. High load, low speed greases are very stiff and difficult to work with. At a job I worked years ago, we had a gear box rated for 1200hp. Every week, on the pm, we opened the gear box and applied grease to the bull gear- with a very stiff putty knife. That grease almost had to be chiseled out of the bucket.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
check to see if the grease fitting is bottoming out against the ball inside the joint.
maybe grind a bit off the end?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
This is why I use wheel bearing grease on everything. There is less chance of something like this happening. Not impossible, the chances are just way less likely to happen.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This is why I use wheel bearing grease on everything. There is less chance of something like this happening. Not impossible, the chances are just way less likely to happen.
I have never seen true wheel bearing grease in a tube. I buy it in pails, you have to pack the wheel bearings by hand. But I did a search on google, seems there are a few brands, they all look like they are for trailer/marine use. Must be to pack those wheel bearing buddy gizmos they use when they go in the water.

A lot of the hits though, came up with "all purpose" grease. Wheel bearing grease is very thick compared to regular grease.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have never seen true wheel bearing grease in a tube. I buy it in pails, you have to pack the wheel bearings by hand. But I did a search on google, seems there are a few brands, they all look like they are for trailer/marine use. Must be to pack those wheel bearing buddy gizmos they use when they go in the water.

A lot of the hits though, came up with "all purpose" grease. Wheel bearing grease is very thick compared to regular grease.
Indeed. I use synthetic marine wheel bearing grease for boat trailers. It's a green colored grease, not that I think the color matters. It was trying to post a link but it appears my local auto parts stores no longer carry it or at least do not have it listed on their web site.

EDIT: I think this is it here: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Grease-101-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B004Y06YT8

EDIT YET AGAIN: Found it: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/green-grease-synthetic-waterproof-high-temperature-grease-101/7070077-P

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals