• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 conversion hell

'83ohtwo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i recently bought an 83 range with a almost complete v8 conversion. but unfortunately its not running. i had a few questions.first off where should i look on the block of my 302 to determine what year it is. also the wiring in this truck is for a fuel injected v6 and i have a carbed v8 and seeing how nothing seems to work elecric wise anyways i was wondering how hard it would be to just gut all things electrical including guages and just start over with an aftermarket harness
:icon_confused:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't need to get a aftermarket harness.

Your truck came from the factory with EFI, or someone used a v6 harness?

Since you are running a carb all you need are the altenator wires and hook up your distributor. You running points style or electronic ignition?

'83ohtwo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
it has a factory efi harness with a carbed v8. i'm new to working on my own truck and lemme tell you its not easy to try to figure this stuff out on your own

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it has a factory efi harness with a carbed v8. i'm new to working on my own truck and lemme tell you its not easy to try to figure this stuff out on your own

i would leave the wiring as is and just hook up the fuel lines and ingintion...clean up the wiring as time allows. unless you dont need lights windshield wipers ect.

83 was carb so it should have the ig box wiring already in place...unless it had a efi 6 swapped in before the 302.

madoublet863

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91`
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
v8power

wondering did you stock altern off the v6 engine or v8 alt and if so i would like a lil help with the wiring just to know which ones are which thanks

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If you run the V6 Alternator, need need to do anything with that wiring. As for the rest, the factory gauges will work, simply by using the V6 senders in the V8. Distributor? All you need do is use the same coil wires, one's positive the other negative. You can run the fuel pump off the distributor hot wire.
The block's date code is underneath at the rear near the starter. It's a number/letter number combo. First number is the year made, the letter is the month code ("A" for January thru "M" for December, skipping the letter "I") the other number(s) is the day of the month it was made. The decade it was produced is determined by the prefix in the casting numbers. C8OE-6015-A for example, the C is the code for 1960's, D for 70's, E for 80's, F for 90's, the number is the model year of that decade. This will be the first model year that part was produced, some parts were made for ten years or more without a casting (actually this is the engineering number) number change.

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i recently bought an 83 range with a almost complete v8 conversion. but unfortunately its not running. i had a few questions.first off where should i look on the block of my 302 to determine what year it is. also the wiring in this truck is for a fuel injected v6 and i have a carbed v8 and seeing how nothing seems to work elecric wise anyways i was wondering how hard it would be to just gut all things electrical including guages and just start over with an aftermarket harness
:icon_confused:
I'm confused?? why is there wiring for a fuelie v6 in there? is the gas tank setup with a fuelie intank fuel pump or still drawthru??

if so, then just hook up the fuel lines to the fuel pump on the left side of the timing cover and find a switched 12v+ to the negative of the coil and it should crank if you have the right cam (with a fuel pump eccentric). block #'s will be at the back left side ledge by the oil pan facing straight down. may be buried in oil muck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals