• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted WANTED: 3.73 Rear Axle

rod1625

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking for a rear axle to fit a 1988 Ranger SuperCab 4x4. I currently have a 7.5 inch 4.10 rear axle, but need a 3.73. If a 3.73 8.8 axle would fit my truck, I'd be interested in that as well. The 4.10 axle is fine, just the wrong ratio, so would be willing to swap for someone that might need one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What is your location?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Just a heads up, 4x4's need front and rear axles to have matched ratios, both 3.73 or both 4.10

Yes, 7.5" and 8.8" from 1983 thru 1992 Rangers will be interchangeable, and same width as your 1988

1993-2009 Ranger/Mazda B-series rear axles can also just bolt in but will be 1" wider on each side, not a big deal just another heads up

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Looking for a rear axle to fit a 1988 Ranger SuperCab 4x4. I currently have a 7.5 inch 4.10 rear axle, but need a 3.73. If a 3.73 8.8 axle would fit my truck, I'd be interested in that as well. The 4.10 axle is fine, just the wrong ratio, so would be willing to swap for someone that might need one.
I have a rear 3.73 gear set that came out of my 89 STX if you are interested in swapping gears. They have about 50K miles on them.

rod1625

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Just a heads up, 4x4's need front and rear axles to have matched ratios, both 3.73 or both 4.10

Yes, 7.5" and 8.8" from 1983 thru 1992 Rangers will be interchangeable, and same width as your 1988

1993-2009 Ranger/Mazda B-series rear axles can also just bolt in but will be 1" wider on each side, not a big deal just another heads up
The front is a 3.73, confirmed by the tag.
I have a rear 3.73 gear set that came out of my 89 STX if you are interested in swapping gears. They have about 50K miles on them.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I can't find a whole one. Trying to avoid diff setup since I'm not equipped/skilled enough for that kind of operation.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can't help you on getting an axke, but be aware that there were two different driveshaft flange patterns used. I know that early 7.5" Ranger axles used a smaller flange and then all of them changed to a larger flange sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. I've got a thread about it somewhere around where, but I'm not going to go looking at the moment. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of when hunting for an axle.

You can use the larger or smaller axle flange, you just need to swap the yoke on the driveshaft to match. That's what I had to do when tracking down a driveshaft for my 85. Found a later driveshaft that was the right length, but larger flange. Bought a small pattern yoke to match my axle. Someday I'll swap to a later (Explorer?) axle and need to go back to the larger flange, so stuck it on the shelf to use then. That was almost a year ago and still haven't installed it in the truck. :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals