• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Water By-Pass Hose and Thermostat Why and How

user111

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It is my understanding the Water By Pass is for warm up of engine when its first started, It allows the coolant to recirculate from the bottom of engine block to the top of the block, until the thermostat is opened when engine is up to temp, with the thermostat open for flow to the radiator, flow is stopped to the top of the block in the Water By Pass by the opened Thermostat.

The heater hose however always has flow, when engine is first started and when its up to temp.

So why does this motor have a Water by pass when there is flow thru the heater all the time. I think many vehicles have used the heater to recirculate the coolant during warm up for the engine.
I guess it might depend on where the water pump is taking sucking to supply the heater hose...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals