• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

waterproof alternator

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
anyone ever waterproof an alternator? my truck is a 99 with the internal regulated alternator and i need it to be able to charge underwater.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i don't think you can because if the unit is sealed off it will over heat and will last long and if anyone wants to correct me if i am wrong or jump in go ahead !! If you did seal up the alt you will probable void warranty so if you have any problems you have to dish out the money for a new one!! You might be able to epoxy seal the internal regulated but it maybe done already but i am not sure.....

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i know bout the overheating. im gonna yank one of the regulators out and look at it. LOL about warranties. i dont do warranties. i had water up to my seat yesterday, hydro locked it, filled the oil pan and rear axle with water. had to push it out. pulled plugs blew out cylinders, 2 oil changes and rear gear oil and its good. driving through water all day and the alternator would stop charging when it got wet but was good once i made it through. maybe ill just buy another optima and run 2. truck didnt quit until it was belly button deep. im doing a snorkel next week.

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
belt slipping i think

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
nope i sprayed the alternator with a hose a bit ago while running and it drops voltage. my belt is not slipping, regulator on my spare is epoxied but not good enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals