• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weekend warrior build thread.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have been on here quite a while and decided to finally make a build thread for the updates I have been working lately. A little background on the truck. I bought it stock 2 years ago for 500 bucks. Put in a new fuel pump and battery got it on the road drove it like that for a couple months while I collected parts. Bought a used 6 inch skyjacker lift on CL and got my hands on a d35 and ranger 8.8. Swapped in the axles and put on the lift drove it like that for around a year.
Few pics of the truck after the lift

Now onto the new stuff. The bed was rotted out a sourcing a decent replacement was out of the question up here to I decided to build a bed for it. Also got new sheet metal off a better truck new hood fenders a patched the doors and rocker panels as well as take care of other rust issues. Also swapped in chevy leafs and joints for extended radius arms. Anyways on with the pics will be update as progress continues.

Front sheet metal gone.

Pulled the bed off.

POR15 the frame.

1/4 plate for the base of the new bed.

Start of the bed 2x2 square tube will add flat fenders and some other things.

Front shot with the bumper I cut down from a full size with the new cut fenders and painted grille and head light bezels color matched to the wheels.

Also scored a rugged ridge winch so there may be a new bumper in the near future.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good so far, but 1/4" plate is a little thick/heavy for the bed floor. 1/8" plate with 16" crossbeams would been better/less weight. But its turning out good. Gonna build a new bumper for the winch or modify the one you have?

SVT

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree the 1/4 inch plate is a little much but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it my buddy owns a scrap yard so I paid next to nothing for it. Plus its nice to have some extra weight in the rear for the brutal winters we have up here. And Im not sure if I am going to modify this or build a new one. I got that one from the scrap yard to off a full size and cut it down to fit the ranger just because it was easier then fabricating one from scratch but now that I bought a winch I think its gonna go.

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Finally you have a build thread! Now I just need to get off my ass and make one for the first gen, and maybe the explorer haha. New bed looks great though! You've got that nice piece of channel I gave you for a winch tray...

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a little bit of work done this afternoon. I cut the 1/8 sheet up to skin the inside of the bed sides and started drilling holes to weld it. Should have it wrapped up in the next few days if hockey doesn't interfere to much...lol

And a shot of the rugged ride winch I picked up a few days ago.

And trevor you def need to make a build thread for the first gen! and install that lift on the EX.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if anyone is even reading this thread...lol But I did get some work done today. I finished skinning the inside of the tube and got them mocked up as well as undercoat the cab with spay bedliner and put the rear shocks back on. I should have most of the bed fab done by the end of the week just need to decide if I am going to build fenders out of flat stock or buy some trailer fenders and modify them. On with the pics...It been a while since this old girl has seen the light of day.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I use to run those 34 tsls, I loved em. But dont drive over 75mph with them they will throw lugs...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
looks good

jhammel85

I like it. It's got a nice stance and the bed looks like it's coming along fine! Nice build.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Any plans for a headache rack to go with the bed? What's your plans for lights? Lookin good so far!

SVT

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any plans for a headache rack to go with the bed? What's your plans for lights? Lookin good so far!

SVT
I plan to run a roll bar eventually. As far as lights I picked up some cheap trailer lights from tractor supply for now. I have yet to find some cool lights I haven't seen on 100 other trucks lol.

And Dugan the truck was my DD for over a year and will be once its finished never had an issue with the lugs flying off the tread.

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haven't posted in a while. The truck is very close to being able to get back in action here are some pics of the progress on the bed.

Still need to cut off the receiver hitch and add a tag light. It will eventually get some sort of tail gate/spare tire carrier. Just need to clean up some welds bed line and paint. Then I can flip it around and start the winch mount.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i like the bed. turned out good with those trailer fenders on it. are we taking bets on how soon those tail lights are gonna get torn off? lol

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man. I wasn't sure if the fenders were gonna look good or not but I like the way it came together. The lights are not a permanent solution. I think some flush mounts in the bumper are in its future.

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The lights will never get torn off at the rate he's been going... Even if he ever finishes it he'll never wheel it! Hahaha I have yet to really finish a project though so I can't talk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals