• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird idle noise, sounds like marbles. Please read.

scurfman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98' 4x4 automatic with the 4.0 ohv. I just turned 100,000 miles and am noticing a noise that seems to be getting proggresively worse. It is not real loud but is definately noticable. It sounds kind of like marbles rattling around. Not really a knock or squeal. I really can only hear it at an idle and can't tell if it it is affected by rpms. I does not get louder. I also know that when I put it into gear it significantly quiets and you can barely hear it. I had the transmission rebuilt at 75,000 because my reverse band broke. I have also used mobil 1 synthetic since 30,000. Last oil change I tried a oil cleaner and added a quart of Lucas thinking it might be my timing chain tensioner, but did not help at all and possibly got a little worse. My oil pressure has always been good. The truck runs awesome and am trying to avoid a rebuild. Any ideas or suggestions I could try. It sounds like it is coming from the back of the motor and is louder under the truck. Does this sound like it could be the transmission or does it sound like motor noise? Thanks for your help.

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
From my experience, it sounds like something in your transmission. My mustang used to have a similar noise in park, but once in drive it never made the noise, try that and see if the noise goes away, then you know its in your transmission, if it doesnt be a little bit more specific with its location and when it occurs.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are describing a catalitic convertor or muffler noise quite well.. Get under there and use a rod touching them and see if the noise IS coming from one or the other of them..
Big Jim

scurfman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the quick response. I will try that and let you know. Feel free to keep posting. Thanks Guys.

SoLongStang9499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L 245CI
Transmission
Manual
Jim raises a good point, it could be a crack in your cat, and could be bouncing around in there making noise.

scurfman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I checked this morning using my trusty wood stick stethascope. the noise does not sound like it is coming from my cats. It definately seems like an internal sound. I have stuck the wood on everything I can see and can,t get the sound through the wood.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wood??

Hey guys, I checked this morning using my trusty wood stick stethascope. the noise does not sound like it is coming from my cats. It definately seems like an internal sound. I have stuck the wood on everything I can see and can,t get the sound through the wood.
I never have used wood..Does it work as well as a bfscrewdriver? Have you used the stethascope on various parts of the engine while running? NEVER do this while wearing loose clothing..
Big JIm :bad:

scurfman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wood works great, try it next time. You can hear the bearings and everything.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know if this information will help or is pertinent to your transmission noise but here it is. I have a 05 explorer similar noise, rattling clacking from the bellhousing area (just like a TCC problem). Comes and goes but only occurs after pressurewashing the underside of the vehicle. Will go away after the the vehicle dries. No performance issues. Have noticed the noise will begin when the brakes are applied slowing down almost to stop and will continue until the transmission is put in neutral or acceleration begins. A friend has the similar noise in his Ford. We are looking at the brake relay (a clear shot for the pressure washer) at the master cylinder as a possible culprit but have not proven this as of yet. (wood does work)

Good luck

Last edited:

Todd~Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Throw out bearing?????

scurfman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It is an automatic. similar sound though.

superranger4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
loose tourqe convertor bolts, cracked flex plate

truckingixxer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i think its piston slap I have the same noise, I put my head by the bottom of the door and it sounds kind of nasty but its been doing it for a while and my truck runs great, this is what others have told me from rangerpowersports.com

427ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you end up tracing it to under the hood.. try removing the serpantine belt and then spin all the accessories and pulleys. I've had idler and tensioner pulleys get noisy on Fords, when the sealed bearings are failing. Check the fan clutch and water pump for rough bearings / lateral movement. If there's knocking IN your cat converter, it's time to replace it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals