• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weld on recovery shackles

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering how horrible it would be to weld on recovery shackles onto my factory bumper. I saw a few threads kind of frowning upon it, and i know the factory bumper isn't the sturdiest. What if i welded reinforcement on the inside of the bumper? I was thinking if they were welded on, directly in front of where the frame mounts to the bumper, it would be all right for light pulling, not yanking or anything like that. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I eventually want to make or buy aftermarket bumpers, just wanting to have something for now.

Last edited:

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't. It will tweak and stress itself even with support. Then heaven forbid you have an accident the bumper will not hold up as it should.

Just wait and get a bumper meant for it.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bent the stock bumper mounts on my truck with one good tug with tow hooks, either gusset the crap out of your mounts or wait

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
do it right... 1" steel welded front/ rear that ties into the frame mounts with D-ring screw pin shackles.

most of the "recovery points" people weld on to bumpers are actually tie down points for hauling stuff anyways.

just call me fat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ill sell you my factory tow hooks from my ranger im in roanoke va

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put a winch in and welded swivel d rings on the bottom of the plate that it bolts to.Maybe you could put a heavy square tube or angle between the frame halves and weld the d rings on that.Put the brace inside the lip of the frame halves.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I put a winch in and welded swivel d rings on the bottom of the plate that it bolts to.Maybe you could put a heavy square tube or angle between the frame halves and weld the d rings on that.Put the brace inside the lip of the frame halves.
i thought about this, if i braced the frame together, then just cut a hole in the bumper big enough for the shackles to clear and pull/be pulled, then weld the shackles to the end of each framerail. It would be the same concept as a full bumper, not just pulling on one framerail, but both rails conected together like a heavy guage steel bumper would be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals