• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Investigated the spindle bearing issue on the '90 and sure enough it's completely pooched, shaft seal had been leaking and that bearing hasn't behaved right for years apparently... not sure if the shaft is salvageable or not yet but I have a spare or two... need to order seals and bearing...

oh and on the wifes car apparently it has a nail in the tire, looked the other day and they all looked fine now one was flat, and she called and the ABS light is on so either there's a wheel bearing issue, sensor issue or the mouse got hungry... oh and the front alignment is bad or the tie rod ends are worn out, front tires are worn out on the outsides only...
Soft tire causing enough differential speed to throw the ABS code? See if it resets after you fix the tire.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
She had turned around on the way to the store since it was steering funny with an almost flat rear tire, the ABS light started flashing once I aired all 4 tires up... I'll rotate the tires when she gets home and I'll look into it...

drewh108

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Transmission
Manual
Installed a Double Din stereo system. Nice to be able to stream music via bluetooth finally!

Eventually I'll add the included back up camera and mount the microphone. It's been snowing here.

Will be testing out Apple Carplay on the way to work tomorrow.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Installed a Double Din stereo system. Nice to be able to stream music via bluetooth finally!

Eventually I'll add the included back up camera and mount the microphone. It's been snowing here.

Will be testing out Apple Carplay on the way to work tomorrow.
All sounds good, but I’m puzzled. What are you going to say through the microphone to the people you see in the rearview screen, only when it’s snowing?

drewh108

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Transmission
Manual
All sounds good, but I’m puzzled. What are you going to say through the microphone to the people you see in the rearview screen, only when it’s snowing?
Well, maybe a comma was needed but, I think the microphone is for yelling at people in the way.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Dropped tank to remove old gas and replace fuel pump

1709519087096.png

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Dug into the Ranger issues more, conveniently there's no step on the shaft where the spindle bearing rides, it's pitted but I'll run it... Annoyingly the two U joints related to the passenger side axle shaft are both shot, the outer has one cap spinning (conveniently I did the full circlip mod 14 years ago when the D35 went in) and the center joint is restricted one way not the other... So I just need some consumables...

On the wife's Camry the ABS light went out after the first stop so that's fixed :), the low tire has a nail in it in a fixable location so she'll go to a tire shop this week... I tried to tweak the alignment but couldn't get the jam nut loose on the passenger side so that's for another day...

Now for dinner then relax for a bit and do taxes later tonight... yay...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Engine, transmission, and transfer case are in the truck and sitting on the mounts. Can I add the V8 swap banner now?

Probably safe to do, but I want to wait until it's running. If that's all it took then I've had one for almost a decade with an engine sitting on a bare 86 Ranger frame.

Front driveshaft boot was torn, so rebuilt it with new CV joint and reinstalled. Discovered that I must have damaged the passenger side axle shaft seal when swapping the CV axles out, so looks like I'll be pulling that side back apart to replace it. Discovered that the transfer case flange is a different size between the Ranger and Explorer t-case, so will have to swap that over this week. Was probably mentioned in the tech articles, but I missed or forgot it.

From here on it's a lot of little things to putting it all back together.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I got a bunch of my new parts installed. One rotor and bearings, parking brake cables, and muffler. Figure I'll let those bearings settle in this week and tighten things up next week when I put the other side on. Still need to adjust the parking brake, assuming the front cable isn't tool long.

BTW, I ordered a set of the Chevy brake hoses that are supposed to be longer. What I got is the same length as my stock 96 hoses:annoyed:... IDK what happened there.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
changed the alternator yesterday and decided to investigate the new oil leak. this truck has 215k miles on it and never leaked oil while i have owned it till recently.

i decided its going to take a lot of pressure washing to find the leak since the whole engine from the valve covers down is oil soaked now. i figured it was the valve covers but there is oil on the front of hte engine too. when i park, it leave a little puddle of oil that is roughly 3" wide by 12" long under the bell housing. searching here says it could be any number of things though so that was no help.

so, pressure washer is in the future to start with a clean engine to look at

oh yeah, i used the cheapo alternator from rockauto, skp or syp brand, and no issues. bolted in perfect and doesn;t make any weird noises.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Just came back in from adjusting the parking brake. Easy to set and will hold the truck tight enough that while pointed downhill the engine won't move it. In forward or reverse. I'm happy. First time I've had a proper parking brake in like 12 years.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
$95 later I have everything ordered so far... Amazon had the heavy duty Spicer joints for like $26 so I got 3, got the shaft seal set that has the spindle bearing conveniently (ordered one in '20 I think for the other side? don't remember anymore...), so next weekend I'll tackle that... the passenger side slip splines were stuck so everything needs a good clean and lube...

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals