• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think fog lights are a waste of money. The only thing they do is light up the fog.
Many years ago on my 2001 SportTracJob2, did replace stock 9005\HB3 FogLamps with the Cree style LEDs shown below;
made a big improvement for regular night driving with LowBeams on; also good by themselves in dim light conditions.
So far as driving in fog goes, they seem somewhat better; I just dont drive fog unless absolutely needed, which is never;
too many crazy drivers go full speed thru fog, not worth the risk of a HeadOn\RearEnd collision.
2001.Ford_Elec.Lamp_Fore.Fogs_9005HB3LEDs.GIF

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I think fog lights are a waste of money. The only thing they do is light up the fog.
There's a bit of science behind foglights.

A key part of the equation is having them low enough to the ground and aimed properly.

Fog will generally stay 2-3 feet off the ground, having lights below that line and aimed at the ground 25-30' in front of the vehicle gives the best chance for success.

Yellow cuts through the fog much better than a white light as well. It's always worked for me! I wouldn't of spent 60$ on a pair of bulbs If it didn't 😋

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
It looks like you got lost in the dark on the way home from Bigfoot's cabin.
Pretty much! I try to get into the most inaccessible areas because that’s where the scary things live. That was a pretty rough area that only became rough this year. Some of the washes were over 10 foot deep.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"

A key part of the equation is having them low enough to the ground and aimed properly.

Fog will generally stay 2-3 feet off the ground, having lights below that line and aimed at the ground 25-30' in front of the vehicle gives the best chance for success.

Yellow cuts through the fog much better than a white light as well. It's always worked for me! I wouldn't of spent 60$ on a pair of bulbs If it didn't 😋
Maine fog must be much different than the Oregon fog we get all the time, we get cloud levels that are say 30' high so you're just screwed... I use the lines on the road and the fact I've driven my daily route thousands of times (8 years 10 times a week because of to work and from work to home, do the math...), I know where all the corners are, usually I can see headlights and tail lights coming toward me or me getting close to so it's easy enough... I see a lot of people driving through fog with their brights on, not sure why, that just makes it worse...

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pretty much! I try to get into the most inaccessible areas because that’s where the scary things live. That was a pretty rough area that only became rough this year. Some of the washes were over 10 foot deep.
Do you do any gold panning? If so, you should try panning some of the creeks around Delilah Lookout. This is the time of the year to do it because there's water running in the creeks. The road to the west of the peak goes right past several old mines and prospects and the vein runs north to the Kings River at a place on the map called Crabtree.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

It's humor!!

I know how they work. The idea is to have lighting in a position where the reflection off the water droplets isn't coming straight back at you.

Also, the fog isn't always 2-3 feet off the ground here. If the fog is shallow heat can still radiate from the ground and continue to chill the air that comes in contact with it. It's very common to have a visibility of barely seeing the road in front of you, but being able to see the stars. When the valley fills up with fog thats a thousand feet deep, it will be a misty drizzle with visibility that really doesn't impact driving.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Do you do any gold panning? If so, you should try panning some of the creeks around Delilah Lookout. This is the time of the year to do it because there's water running in the creeks. The road to the west of the peak goes right past several old mines and prospects and the vein runs north to the Kings River at a place on the map called Crabtree.
I don’t do any panning but I do have pan and a sluice box that I should use. I don’t live down there anymore, I moved to Nevada a few years ago.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
It doesn't usually get SUPER foggy here.. certainly not as intense as what you guys are describing. It's probably been at least a couple years since I've driven through any 'that's as thick as pea soup' and yeah at that point fog lights really don't do squat lol.

I also like the yellow when it's real damn snowy out. All the snowbanks look like pee.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
It's humor!!

It's very common to have a visibility of barely seeing the road in front of you, but being able to see the stars.

I hadn't had enough coffee yet sorry 😋

But that sort of fog sounds cool, I havnt experienced that I don't think.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve had fog lights on my daily’s for about 6/7 years now, I think I legitimately used them twice, other then turning them on to see if they still work.
Once was in the snow. Once with Fog.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, fog lights can help a lot when you have blowing and drifting snow, as it cuts down on the dazzle you get from the light being reflected right back into your eyes.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t do any panning but I do have pan and a sluice box that I should use. I don’t live down there anymore, I moved to Nevada a few years ago.
There's plenty of places in Nevada to go prospecting.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Today the power steering pump was making noise when I turn. It's leaking. Time for a new power steering pump. Now I have to figure out what brand to order.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I’ve put under 10 miles on my “daily driver” in the past 2 weeks… do you really think I’m going to use my back up Ranger??

I think having this county truck is going to save me quite a bit of money.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
There's plenty of places in Nevada to go prospecting.
Yes sir, there sure are. I should go check the mountain range where the plash flooding happened this year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals