• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Picked up some chicken supplies at tsc & then to krogers for a grocery pickup. Buzzed through a car wash then stopped at a car lot to check out a couple of used vehicles before heading home.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yesterday I got back to work on the green Ranger. Undid about everything that I had tried to do Wednesday because I was second guessing it all. Bent another bit of 5/8” aluminum tube for the heater lines because what had originally cleared everything suddenly didn’t when I tried to set the upper intake down without a rag across the lower intake (I didn’t think it was that much thicker than the gasket) and I started to kink the tube trying to get it to clear. So after bending tubing for the nth time, redoing the clamps again and some other tweaks, the upper intake is finally bolted down. Still have to connect just about everything back up.

Oh, and the coil pack bracket that I had previously clearanced doesn’t fit anymore and my grinding wheel has wandered off somewhere. My Milwaukee M18 grinder, cutting disks, grinding wheel, and cup brush I’ve been keeping all together because I keep using them on this project and I don’t want to lose anything. Everything is there but the grinding wheel. I should have some spares around here but so far can’t locate them. I know I have a bag of that stuff with my corded grinders at my buddy’s garage in town but I was trying to avoid having to run up there for just that. Sooo frustrating. I was pretty irritable last night. Need my damn garage up so all of this stuff can live in one place.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Not from today but the last couple of days, went and picked up a doubler, went through it and fixed some issues, now to collect some drive shafts and make it fit, this will be a long term project but will happen eventually

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Got it stuck yesterday and then used a ratchet strap to pull the front end sideways after some extensive digging with a fold up military style shovel. I buried the whole back end because the hitch was sitting on the bank back there.

I threw my back out 3 days ago and this didn’t help it. I really need a winch, high lift and shovel on this truck. Hopefully when my taxes come back, I’ll get them.

3F7FA71E-D93D-47C3-ABD1-C41F3CDBBB94.jpeg

0CD0F3FB-CA8C-4510-ADC5-C01A7805EFB1.jpeg

75F2E3D1-89A6-41D1-BF10-17B6B8DECC17.jpeg

43D94C51-B120-4932-A435-B2B6DDE991C0.jpeg

U
50C4AB79-C063-43E7-816E-DCE0BB67FE76.jpeg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Got it stuck yesterday and then used a ratchet strap to pull the front end sideways after some extensive digging with a fold up military style shovel. I buried the whole back end because the hitch was sitting on the bank back there.

I threw my back out 3 days ago and this didn’t help it. I really need a winch, high lift and shovel on this truck. Hopefully when my taxes come back, I’ll get them.

View attachment 87021

View attachment 87022

View attachment 87023

View attachment 87024

UView attachment 87025
Yikes! Man, even a high lift would be easier than the ol ratchet strap trick. I tried come-alongs but after splitting a fingernail when one malfunctioned, I’m a little resistant to wanting to use one. Short of an actual winch, I’d rather use a hi lift to winch and it doubles as a jack, so rather handy. (I did use it to clamp a tweaked plow mount back together enough for new bolts once)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yikes! Man, even a high lift would be easier than the ol ratchet strap trick. I tried come-alongs but after splitting a fingernail when one malfunctioned, I’m a little resistant to wanting to use one. Short of an actual winch, I’d rather use a hi lift to winch and it doubles as a jack, so rather handy. (I did use it to clamp a tweaked plow mount back together enough for new bolts once)
Nothing worse than breaking a nail when a guy is offroading...

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size

Yes sir, I was dumb and wasn’t prepared. Definitely not my finest moment. But through sheer refusal to quit, I barely got out lol. That’s really the only thing I can brag about, I don’t give up easily. If I had fixed my mirrors and or paid more attention then I wouldn’t have been in that situation. I have used high lifts quite a bit. They’re absolutely dangerous but are very useful. Took a handle to the jaw one day because I was tired and let my hand slip. Only thing that saved me was that most of the weight was already off the jack. Made my jaw sore for a day or two but I escaped with no real damage. I treat them with much more respect now!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing worse than breaking a nail when a guy is offroading...
Lol, ok, so I thought I was trying to be polite and instead left myself wide open… what really happened was my thumb went into the ratcheting mechanism nail first… ouch.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes sir, I was dumb and wasn’t prepared. Definitely not my finest moment. But through sheer refusal to quit, I barely got out lol. That’s really the only thing I can brag about, I don’t give up easily. If I had fixed my mirrors and or paid more attention then I wouldn’t have been in that situation. I have used high lifts quite a bit. They’re absolutely dangerous but are very useful. Took a handle to the jaw one day because I was tired and let my hand slip. Only thing that saved me was that most of the weight was already off the jack. Made my jaw sore for a day or two but I escaped with no real damage. I treat them with much more respect now!
Yeah, I’ve been attacked by them before and barely managed to avoid serious damage too

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol, ok, so I thought I was trying to be polite and instead left myself wide open… what really happened was my thumb went into the ratcheting mechanism nail first… ouch.
Nice save. :icon_thumby:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

View attachment 87021

View attachment 87022

View attachment 87023

View attachment 87024

UView attachment 87025

I usually recommend driving in the same direction as the road, rather than perpendicular to it. That seems to help me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals